Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why is that most people use ram horn or mini ram or log manifold? i dont see much of a tublar topmount manifold. since the topmount makes better power at top end, all of them mainly use ram horn

·
Registered
588 Posts
because a lot of people drive their car on the street and the smaller manifold spools the turbo faster. i would also think that there are not a lot of cars on here with a turbo big enough to truly benefit from a top mount.

·
Registered
120 Posts
why dont they use the topmount then other then using a ramhorn?
A lot easier to bolt a ramhorn + small turbo in a DD/light build than have to cram a top mount in the same space.

On my three turbo builds I've done, I used a cheap stainless ramhorn on the first and then replaced it with a cast ramhorn and EWG, second was a cast ramhorn but IWG, third was HF mani with adapter. I definitely prefer the cast ramhorn over everything else I've tried. I can't say it was better than the stainless ramhorn I used, because the stainless one cracked before I really got to test it out, so really all of the full boost I've pulled has been on cast manifolds.

Cast manifolds are a little better about holding up to being thrashed too, while tubular ones will snap, break, bend etc. a LOT easier (Should be a "duh" point here, of course cast iron is stronger than thin steel).

If I'm going to drive a boosted single cam for more than a quarter mile at a time I'd rather have a cast ramhorn on there than anything else. Easier to maintain, easier to install, and if you ever replace it the dimensions on cast rams are pretty close across the range so modification is minimum.

Nothing to really complain about.

As far as making power, the manifold you use in a turbo setup is less important than pretty much everything else. You can make pretty similar power numbers on a cast ram and top mount/equal length manifolds anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Some of us aren't all about numbers. Personally I couldn't care less about my peak numbers if I have a big juicy torque curve. It's just not worth it to get that extra little bit at the top of the rev range since you aren't going to spend all of your time up there anyway.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
A lot easier to bolt a ramhorn + small turbo in a DD/light build than have to cram a top mount in the same space.
my top mount is waaaaay easier to deal with then any bottom mount ive ever had just for the record.

and OP its all about money most of the time. i found my topmount for cheaper then a ramhorn is new. plus i dont like the look of the ram horn manifolds.
and i wants good up top power since its on a mostly track car. power comes in late put makes peak power all the way up top so it pulls good till i need to shift. doesnt fall off in the top end.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
$600+ for a used topmount. I would love to have one but I would rather buy a $100 log mani.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
1st- google and read about a top mount, then do the same with the log and ram horn... all have different flow characteristics(spell check)... then look at drag setups... log, mini, and full ramhorns to me are more streetable... not saying a top mount ain't.... but for a small street driven engine its more ideal....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts