Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna wire my fan to a switch while still letting it turn on by itself when the desired temp is reached. purpose is for when at the track etc... between runs

even though at the moment my rad fan isnt turning on which will be fixed once i find the problem i still plan on doing this also on the side.

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
i wanna wire my fan to a switch while still letting it turn on by itself when the desired temp is reached. purpose is for when at the track etc... between runs

even though at the moment my rad fan isnt turning on which will be fixed once i find the problem i still plan on doing this also on the side.
Could you splice the switch into the fan and have the switch run off the battery so you can turn it on when its not already?

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what about running to the fan switch sensor in the back of the block can i splice threw there

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
just wire it to a keyonpower accesory circuit.with a toggle switch. like the radio. done.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Fine the fan switch sensor. Slice into both of the wires then wire it into a switch inside the car. Once the switch it off it'll turn on like stock but once you flip the switch it'll stay running. Only thing is your key must turn the ignition switch on for it to stay on. I done this before.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
just add an extension from each wire that goes to the OEM fan switch into the cabin (T off of the existing wires, and leave the switch plugged in) and then just add a switch in the cabin to trigger the fan when you want it on.

all the OEM rad fan switch does is ground itself when it senses the ECT is at the desired level. so by extending the two wires into the cabin, and switching the switch manually, you are effectively emulating the operation of the OEM fan switch, just manually.

i did this with my drag car, and it made life SOOO much better!!!! only problem was the fan killed my lawn and garden battery pretty quickly.

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
just add an extension from each wire that goes to the OEM fan switch into the cabin (T off of the existing wires, and leave the switch plugged in) and then just add a switch in the cabin to trigger the fan when you want it on.

all the OEM rad fan switch does is ground itself when it senses the ECT is at the desired level. so by extending the two wires into the cabin, and switching the switch manually, you are effectively emulating the operation of the OEM fan switch, just manually.

i did this with my drag car, and it made life SOOO much better!!!! only problem was the fan killed my lawn and garden battery pretty quickly.

^yep

you could even get simpler that that and just run one wire from the TW sensor because I think it just grounds the fan relay anyway.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks again guys im on it this weekend.

first i need to see if i can jump the fan if i cant i know its the fan. if not i have to short the fan sensor plugs if it turns on i know i have to replace that sensor behind the block. then i can wire this switch.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Use a relay. Wire a 12v constant output to the black/red wire (if I remember correctly) and one of the signal wires to a switch. This way your not sending a lot of load through a switch, it's a good way to melt your switch/dash.

Use a single pole double throw (I personally use this style most) and wire up accordingly. If your not familiar with how to use relays just read this small explanation and diagram. Always use an inline fuse as well, just in case. 20a should suffice.

Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT), Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) Automotive Relays

1 - 13 of 13 Posts