Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, in a rush for IA, I went to Lube Stop and got a Tranny drain 'n fill. I'm in the process of pulling the motor for a swap. When I pulled the driver axle out I thought it smelled like gear oil, so I went into the shed to smell my Fathers gear oil. Yep they smell the same. My paper work says Honda MTF, but I know better then that to think they use OEM fluids. I just assumed they used 10w30. I have put about 15k miles on it since then and hadn't had a problem(knocking on wood). I'll be draining it and flushing the case out but what kind of damage could I be looking at?

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
You should be looking at the lube stop to pay for a new transmission if the paperwork specifies Honda MTF. Bone should chime in here soon.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
You should be looking at the lube stop to pay for a new transmission if the paperwork specifies Honda MTF. Bone should chime in here soon.
This.

When you drain it you should know immediately if it's gear oil or not, that shit is buttery thick.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
time to go back to that shop and start cursing a manager out!

·
Registered
98 vw jetta 3
2,022 Posts
im running gear lube in mine no problems so far. the old tranny that was in it was running the same no problems with it either.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
You start really having issues is under high load high stress situations because the oil is so thick that it can fit in all those tiny places that it needs to. What where you doing with the car? DD track weekend fun does it grind any I say pull the case and take a look for your self.

I have been doing alot of reading up on the effects on different trans oils pretty interesting stuff to be honest.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You start really having issues is under high load high stress situations because the oil is so thick that it can fit in all those tiny places that it needs to. What where you doing with the car? DD track weekend fun does it grind any I say pull the case and take a look for your self.

I have been doing alot of reading up on the effects on different trans oils pretty interesting stuff to be honest.
I just drive, I don't do anything crazy high speed or high load. For the most part I drive like my Grandma is in the car.

I have had no problems(knocking on wood) for 15k miles but I won't be using Lube Stop no more in a pinch if it is in fact gear lube. I know Honda's have plastic bearing cases and some oils(Redline) can attack the plastic. I normally do all the work on my cars but it was a last minute thing so I decided to pay them to do it($15 w/discount and done in 15mins).

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
The guy doesn't have a problem with it, just wants to know how bad it is for the tranny.

Edit: OP beat me to it lol

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
The guy doesn't have a problem with it, just wants to know how bad it is for the tranny.

Edit: OP beat me to it lol

I got that he does not have an issue now......But if he really wants to know if there is a lurking problem might want to take a look for himself.......People have used the stuff and there is lots of misinformation flying round so if you flushed it and put some fresh MTF in there drive that hoe see what happens report back you never know who you might help in the long run. I think that fact that he does not do any hard diving is why he might not be having any issues.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
I got that he does not have an issue now......But if he really wants to know if there is a lurking problem might want to take a look for himself.......People have used the stuff and there is lots of misinformation flying round so if you flushed it and put some fresh MTF in there drive that hoe see what happens report back you never know who you might help in the long run. I think that fact that he does not do any hard diving is why he might not be having any issues.
very good point :yes:.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Its way too thick, 85/90 is really really thick even when warm. especially when there should at max be only 50weight in there.

Your starving bearings for oil and causing heat as a by-product. allthough your gears are enjoying the high shear strength of the oil.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Its way too thick, 85/90 is really really thick even when warm. especially when there should at max be only 50weight in there.

Your starving bearings for oil and causing heat as a by-product. allthough your gears are enjoying the high shear strength of the oil.
Exactly but yet he has no issues yet. Im curious to what happens once said oil is changed

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
I have no endurance data on a Honda tranny run with heavy gear oil but my understanding is that the move to lighter oils was to improve shifting andto save fuel and increase effective power to the wheel.

I doubt that gear oil is going to do serious damage.

I would think it might take a bit longer to fully circulate and the extra drag on the gears will increase wear on the syncros.

I would just drain it and replace it with the correct oil.

I would not flush it as I expect the flushing fluid is more detrimental than a bit of gear oil.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
True gear oil = DEATH to SOHC tranny.

If they used Synchromesh fluid which does smell like gear oil, you'll be fine.

Open pan of Synchromesh in the garage = WHOLE house smells like gear oil.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I drained the trans today and it came out real quick, more like oil. With it out I could play with it between my fingers and it isn't as thick as gear oil. I ran a magnet through it and didn't recover any shavings. I also put a coffee filter in my funnel and poured the oil through it, nothing. I think it's Synchromesh, I don't have any to compare it to but will pick up some to.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
How well can you strain that oil????

If it is synchromesh, in a bind you can strain it and reuse it....I have.

Synchromesh is $7 a quart, plain old 10w30 is $2 a quart.....if no LSD, I go cheap!!!!!

OLD Honda MTF STUNK!!!!! MAYBE the lube shop had old stock??? New MTF is runny like water, don't use it.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How well can you strain that oil????

If it is synchromesh, in a bind you can strain it and reuse it....I have.

Synchromesh is $7 a quart, plain old 10w30 is $2 a quart.....if no LSD, I go cheap!!!!!

OLD Honda MTF STUNK!!!!! MAYBE the lube shop had old stock??? New MTF is runny like water, don't use it.
Damn already poured it into an old oil container. I don't have LSD so I'll just be getting some 10w30..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts