Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Keepin it real since 1984
94 Integra/06 Harley
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, we got this crx for a nice price, but we're having problems with the batt. staying charged. i'm not really sure what the problem is... pulled out the old batt. and replaced it w/ a new one (put the old one in a friends car, he hasno problems with it), then we thought alt. nope, we swapped it w/ his and we still have the same problem... took it to a shop and they said bad grounds... re-did the grounds, but STILL Does it....
what happens is it'll start all day long, BUT when you leave it sit for a day or so it wont start up, drained batt.!



~what is there that could be draining the batt. when its off?

nothing is lit up power wise... everyone said the radio, but it had the same problem without a radio in it! please help!
 

·
Keepin it real since 1984
94 Integra/06 Harley
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
9000_red said:
what did you do to the grounds? clean them, replace them?
i dont know what they did, a shop did it, it's not my car, its one of my friends (we're in a "club" together)
 

·
Keepin it real since 1984
94 Integra/06 Harley
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
civic4ges said:
Add anyting on?? Something is drawing current.
yea, thats what i figure, but i dont know where from... nothing is on. i was told to take a meter and check the fuses in the motor bay for voltage w/ the fuse out and the power off... that way i have an idea of where to start!
 

·
Keepin it real since 1984
94 Integra/06 Harley
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jman said:
Does he have a system in the car, amp? etc.?
it did for a short time, all it has now is a cd player! it did it before it had a system too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
whitey_4g said:
yea, thats what i figure, but i dont know where from... nothing is on. i was told to take a meter and check the fuses in the motor bay for voltage w/ the fuse out and the power off... that way i have an idea of where to start!
That is correct….You need to do a parasitic draw test

However, at times depending on how "large" or "small" of a draw it is, you'll have to check in amps or mili-amps.

One question..have you had your alternator tested? Here's the theory.


Lets say the alt is putting out "just" enough power for the car to run. However, under some heavy loads such has mashing the gas, headlights, radio, etc; that extra load is taken from the battery.
So the battery gets drained. Now the alternator, needs extra power so it draws it by subtracting from the other systems just to run, but it can't charge the battery...so hence the drained battery.

As stated before, just a theory. Your fuse box under the hood, check that. Make sure everything is cleaned and not corroded.
 

·
Keepin it real since 1984
94 Integra/06 Harley
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, it a new batt. and the alt was out of my buddy car that had a system and he beat the shit out of on a daily basis, never had a problem w/ it... it's not that it's not charging, cause it is... we can drive it, turn it off, dirve it, turn it off... all day long, come out and start it the next morning, but if it sits for more than a day or so it'll be dead
 

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
Joined
·
4,692 Posts
I had something similar in my sedan a while back, was drawing .082 amps. Would suck a battery dry overnight. The best way to do this by the way is a mulimeter, check each fuse for current draw in the front of the car, then check the inside, mine was tracked down to an old alarm system that was never removed from the car, the relays were still hot and that sucker was drawing power.

Let us know how it goes.
 

·
Keepin it real since 1984
94 Integra/06 Harley
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
flatfourfan said:
I had something similar in my sedan a while back, was drawing .082 amps. Would suck a battery dry overnight. The best way to do this by the way is a mulimeter, check each fuse for current draw in the front of the car, then check the inside, mine was tracked down to an old alarm system that was never removed from the car, the relays were still hot and that sucker was drawing power.

Let us know how it goes.
thats EXACTLY what i think it is! there is a siron thing in the motor bay and a ton of wires cut and zip tired under the dash... i just said the same thing yesterday, "i bet it was that old alarm"!!!!! i'll let you all know for sure!
 

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
Joined
·
4,692 Posts
whitey_4g said:
thats EXACTLY what i think it is! there is a siron thing in the motor bay and a ton of wires cut and zip tired under the dash... i just said the same thing yesterday, "i bet it was that old alarm"!!!!! i'll let you all know for sure!
Best one I heard was from a friend who's mildly stoopid........
Chris: "hey Gary, take the battery out then do a test on the relay to see if it's still drawing power"
Gary: "yeah that's so smart why didn't I think of that"

dumbass..........

See if you can unplug the alarm box, I know most of them are all hardwired, so you can't do this, but it's safer than just clipping.................trace the box and feel it, if it's hot, then that sucker is drawing power. However do this after you'e checked the relays and fuses with a mutimeter.

Good luck.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top