Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Civic dx Hatch
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 crx when I start moving from a dead stop if I get on it not hard but just shifting at say 4500 I hear a god awful grinding noise, It almost sounds like the rivets on the clutch are grinding into my flywheel. Is there an easier way to diagnose this other than pulling my tranny. Does anyone have any other ideas of what the sound could be coming from.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
do you still have the noise went you let off the gas?

does it go away when you disengage the clutch?

First and likely guess is ISB, aka input shaft bearing. Would be most noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear.

·
Registered
1998 Civic dx Hatch
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the late response my mother is in the hospital so I have been taking care of her. Yes the noise goes away when I let off the gas and when the clutch is out.

·
Registered
1998 Civic dx Hatch
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I get in there and the clutch looks good would it be okay to leave it in or will the ISB mess up the clutch or something.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
The ISB won't mess up the clutch but I'm giving advice under the assumption that your 20 year old CRX as never had a clutch put in it (most people would change out the ISB with a clutch job).

So I'd say it's about time, regular maintenance.

·
Registered
1998 Civic dx Hatch
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok the PO said that he put a new clutch in it but idk. Autozone doesn't have an ISB listed the only bearings they have are clutch pilot bearing or clutch bearing, which one should it be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts