Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I been talkin about boost for some time now and debating between boosting my z6 in my cx or doin a swap. Well I came to the conclusion that a b16 is garbage, and why replace my z6 when it can provide all I want and still be reliable. Ive been researching for some time now over a yr prolly force feed vs swap..... I am pretty confident in the z6 that I can make it be reliable and still attain the whp I am looking for stock.

I am planning for 180-190whp for my stock z6 I am thinking about adding head studs as well.

Plans for the set up are as follows:

cast iron log mani

thinking 14b or 15g turbo I want quick spool like ~2500-3k

cheapo ebay fmic

dsm 440s or rc"s not sure which size I should get

new fuel pump to be safe. (255lph)

intercooler kit from where ever I can find one / bov

already got plans for ecutune

I also need a good quiet muffler I have 2.5 exhaust but as soon as I put a larger diameter the cops always pull me over in my town for for "noise violation or an eqiptment violation" I was thinking along the lines of magnaflow.

I already upgraded the clutch....

I am prolly leaving something out.

Any advice or pointers form you guys would be great this is my first turbo build and I need it to be reliable.

·
Banned
998 Posts
how mnay miles on the z6? the stock z6 can handle about 200 250whp for normal people pro tunners have taken stockers to i think 400whp. but if u ahve lots of miles u should think about a rebuild before ur stuck on the side of the road.
the 450cc injectors will be enough for 190whp and u need to add a headgasket to that list if u are using arp studs

and to keep it cheap pretty much everyting can be had on ebay

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
11,260 Posts
So you just want to Boost your z6 and go?
People say that in the Long Run you're going to want more Boost. It would be a good thing to Upgrade your Rods and Pistons also.
I know your Hp Goal ain't much but you're going to want more after.

Non the Less, Tune will be your Friend. Good Luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am pretty content on 190whp and=ything over 200 becomes a game of traction and my goal will be attainable. My z6 has about 160k on it Ive seen people with 200k boos tmore but its all up to how healthy it isI have to get a comp test but my main concern is reliability, I drive alot I commute to ollege and drive ~300 plus a week. This was why I was originally considering a swap but ab16 is horrible and a gsr is a lil outta my price range for now. ( ls with gsr tranny ) my last option I was considering. I drive all highway now and usu 5th gear it.

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
how mnay miles on the z6? the stock z6 can handle about 200 250whp for normal people pro tunners have taken stockers to i think 400whp. but if u ahve lots of miles u should think about a rebuild before ur stuck on the side of the road.
the 450cc injectors will be enough for 190whp and u need to add a headgasket to that list if u are using arp studs

and to keep it cheap pretty much everyting can be had on ebay
theres no way in HELL they made 400whp on stock rods, most ive ever seen is 280whp. 220whp is pushing the safe limit on stockers.
I am pretty content on 190whp and=ything over 200 becomes a game of traction and my goal will be attainable. My z6 has about 160k on it Ive seen people with 200k boos tmore but its all up to how healthy it isI have to get a comp test but my main concern is reliability, I drive alot I commute to ollege and drive ~300 plus a week. This was why I was originally considering a swap but ab16 is horrible and a gsr is a lil outta my price range for now. ( ls with gsr tranny ) my last option I was considering. I drive all highway now and usu 5th gear it.
I would bet with 160k on your motor, boosting to 190whp you wont see past 180k before a rod knock.
Forgot in your list:
Down Pipe
Wastegate
Dumptube
Resistor (if you are going to run the dsm's)

I would definitely run some arp's unless you like changing headgaskets regularly :biggrin:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theres no way in HELL they made 400whp on stock rods, most ive ever seen is 280whp. 220whp is pushing the safe limit on stockers.

I would bet with 160k on your motor, boosting to 190whp you wont see past 180k before a rod knock.
Forgot in your list:
Down Pipe
Wastegate
Dumptube
Resistor (if you are going to run the dsm's)

I would definitely run some arp's unless you like changing headgaskets regularly :biggrin:

Yea i did forget to mention them but am aware lol but yea 220 is the max for stockers so i figure 190 should be safe. so you think boosting with that many miles is stupid and that I should go forged? The whole reason I opt for the z6 is to keep it and boost it a lil a know that I will not be tempted to up the boost as it will be a ticking time bomb.

I really wanna opt for the blown single , I think with proper tuning I can get it to be reliable but then theres my ls swap plan with a gsr tranny......

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know a built sohc will be cheap tha is why I opted to stick wiht my z6 that is already swapped into my cx. Although swappin a motor in isnt tht bad either I was going to keeo it sohc cuz it would be a lil cheaper and sohc are badass no one does them where I live its all dohc swaps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
btw I am tryin to find a good quiet muffler because I have a problem in my town for getting violations for aftermarket exhausts and I need a non restrictive muffler but It also must be quiet and low profile if possible . Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Just throwing this out there.. I dynoed at 187 whp with a slipping clutch. Replaced the clutch and I run mid 13's and I drive the car every day 30 miles to work. Yur goals are realistic. And I've done what your looking to do. I will agree. With a good tune. The car is very reliable :O

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just throwing this out there.. I dynoed at 187 whp with a slipping clutch. Replaced the clutch and I run mid 13's and I drive the car every day 30 miles to work. Yur goals are realistic. And I've done what your looking to do. I will agree. With a good tune. The car is very reliable :O
Thanks man for the reply I drive bout 30 miles to school each day n back. Any sugg. as far as turbo. I was thinking either 15g or t25?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
i run a .57 trim. a little laggy. but when i run at the track my prelaod and 2step gets rid of all of that. i like bigger turbos so i stay out of boost when normally driving. itll keep your MPG up a little bit more IMO.. i would reccomend if you wanted to stay a little bit smaller. border line would be a t04e setup . its a .50 trim t3/t4 turbo

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i run a .57 trim. a little laggy. but when i run at the track my prelaod and 2step gets rid of all of that. i like bigger turbos so i stay out of boost when normally driving. itll keep your MPG up a little bit more IMO.. i would reccomend if you wanted to stay a little bit smaller. border line would be a t04e setup . its a .50 trim t3/t4 turbo
When do you reach spool becaus eI do mostly highway drivin cept when Im home so it may be to my benefit if I have a bit lagger spool to save gas but as it is I 5th gear it all the time. You think a 15g would be bad I mean when I drive on the highway i usu am in 5th obviously and its round 2k to 3k ish pending on how my driving characteristics are ( usu jst commuter lol)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
****update******

well unfortunately I have had a bad patch of luck like many of us have and my goals wer shot... I recently had to spend my money originally intended for going boost this summer on bailing my lil bro out of jail...(2500)

To make matters worse, going to work a few weeks ago during the ny monsoon season I mangaed to hydrolock my motor with my stupid CAI due to a puddle that was unavoidable and alot deeper then I though even while driving what though to be the shollowest part.

In addition my computer hard drive burnt out that same week and so did my ecu (water leaked into my car and shorted it out via torched in sunroof from previous owner.. i left my car for a few days on vacation) so I managed to spend basiaclly the last of my savings on a hard drive a stupid shop cuz I didnt kno my ecu was blown then an ecu (my car died in a parking lot 40 miles from my house....)

I bought a new* z6 motor 95k new belts and water pump, to replace my old ~165-170k knocking motor for 300 but it cost me 200 to have it shipped so that killed my funds. Swapped it in with a few buddys and LITERALLY 3 days later a girl driving without her liscense swipes my car and my insurance is calling my hatch a "total loss" at the moment and vauling it at 1700.00

Being that I am poor now I dont know if I should keep it or tryu to buy a beater.. ugh my luck has been horrible... I dont want to have a salvaged car title esp with a nice motor in now I really justy want ot finish my hatch already and boost it already....

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
should have had them tow your car to your house and put the old engine back in it and give it to your insurance comp.
That is some back luck. but you could have had your brother just go to court and not have to pay for bail. Unless you really wanted to just get him out of there? We all have really crappy luck at times, and it all happens at once. I my self just dumped 10 grand on house repairs and back dated bills - then my engine blows up my self. It happens.

Pick it up and go with it. work hard, and lets get the car done :)

- what are you doing now? looking for a new car? I bought my 92 civic for $800

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
sorry about the car, i vote boost the little slut

im running 10ish psi out of a t3/t4 with 235k and she loves it, im setting up a 3bar map and preppng her for 15psi

·
Registered
79 Posts
****update******

well unfortunately I have had a bad patch of luck like many of us have and my goals wer shot... I recently had to spend my money originally intended for going boost this summer on bailing my lil bro out of jail...(2500)

To make matters worse, going to work a few weeks ago during the ny monsoon season I mangaed to hydrolock my motor with my stupid CAI due to a puddle that was unavoidable and alot deeper then I though even while driving what though to be the shollowest part.

In addition my computer hard drive burnt out that same week and so did my ecu (water leaked into my car and shorted it out via torched in sunroof from previous owner.. i left my car for a few days on vacation) so I managed to spend basiaclly the last of my savings on a hard drive a stupid shop cuz I didnt kno my ecu was blown then an ecu (my car died in a parking lot 40 miles from my house....)

I bought a new* z6 motor 95k new belts and water pump, to replace my old ~165-170k knocking motor for 300 but it cost me 200 to have it shipped so that killed my funds. Swapped it in with a few buddys and LITERALLY 3 days later a girl driving without her liscense swipes my car and my insurance is calling my hatch a "total loss" at the moment and vauling it at 1700.00

Being that I am poor now I dont know if I should keep it or tryu to buy a beater.. ugh my luck has been horrible... I dont want to have a salvaged car title esp with a nice motor in now I really justy want ot finish my hatch already and boost it already....
no offense dude but i thought i had bad luck! I hope ur luck gets better bro.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the support guys. This site is great the new motor is running fine and hopefully in a few more agonizing months I will pop my cherry and enter the world of boost. Im thinking on piecing together a hmk or finding a used greddy kit and ditching the bluebox out for a real tune. pnly thing holdin me bak is that I dd it ~60miles a day all highway and I live asically in the bx now with the closest garage at my moms 45miles away or more if im at school. I mean Ive worked on my car in the street jst last week I swapped my cat out infront of someones house lol. Im worried bout consistantly having problems,

·
Registered
22 Posts
btw I am tryin to find a good quiet muffler because I have a problem in my town for getting violations for aftermarket exhausts and I need a non restrictive muffler but It also must be quiet and low profile if possible . Any suggestions? Thanks.
I have a Magnaflow Turbo, Its quiet at 2.5 inch

1 - 20 of 31 Posts