Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just looking for answers here. Does the hood tilt mod actually do anything helpful, or does it do harm? Or it doesnt do either of those two? Again, im only looking for answers if it does anything, not how it looks, or w/e.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
are you talking about putting spacers in the hood and making it sit up in the back???

most people do this to clear the swap they are running in their car. my ls touches my hood. if my motor mounts were bad i would have already busted it. I am currently in the process of doing a H2B swap in my buddies hatch. we're gonna have to put like 2 inches of space in there on his car.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah im talking about that, i heard some people do it to reduce ebay temps, while others say it has a negative effect by actually increasing the temps

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Some do it to release more heat from the engine bay.

edit: I think it looks like poopoo and my temps are fine down here in the summer 100+ degree ambient air temps.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
well if the hood is slightly up - creating an opening... it would reduce the underhood temps by allowing the hot air to escape from the top (hot air rises) - at the same time... from reading the aerodynamic articles... it may make it oh-so-slightly better because the angle change from hood --> windshield isn't as drastic.

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
There was a simaller discution on the GRM board.
At speed, there is a high pressure area at the base of the windshield. This is why the air intake for the interior ventalation is located there. You may get a drop in engine bay temp, but at the cost of more turbulence under the car. The lower temps won't yeild much, if any, hp gain.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Some magazine already did a test; it actually works against you because most of our cars have hot air directed under the car. Your engine temp may decrease but the engine bay temperature will go up.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
I think it would be best to leave the cal-hood ideas to the cameros and only use this for clearance. Honestly, if it DID make a difference, would it be worth it? Also, considering that this would also create a tapered opening on the side of the hood, I just think this would throw your aerodynamics off and/or create unnessesary drag.

Hey, I could be wrong, but it also sounds like it would look hella stupid.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
There's a difference between a cowl hood and a lifted hood. A cowl hood does nothing for cooling is is biased towards the intake system or just making more room from the intake manifold. A lifted hood is exactly what it sounds like; the rear is lifted up so air will be drawn out of the engine bay.

·
wise in the ways of the B
1,861 Posts
W just talked about this on EJ1OC. I would post the link but you can't see it without signing up. Basically- it would have about the same affect as having you sunroof propped open. It lets a little bit of air in but you wouldn't really notice much of a difference. I think the only way it would help, is if you were running ITB's, in which case it might allow a little more air to get to them.

Just my $0.02....

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
it wasn't done for clearance, but to vent the underhood pressure from to huge front end openings......

Note: This was in the 60's :)

PS: I've had two washer in each side please the weather stripping removed for 6-7 years now......at highway speeds I'm getting air FROM under the hood up the windshield.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
I've had two washer in each side please the weather stripping removed for 6-7 years now......at highway speeds I'm getting air FROM under the hood up the windshield.
not sure how to ask this but, does the hot air from under your hood cause fog or vapor to form in the winter...

prolly a stupid question i know, not sure what termanology to use either...lol hopfully you know what im gettin at tho...

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
no its your hot breath that causes fogging
like my post clearly state's there guy, im not sure how to say it...

so ill try to refraise it... does the hot and cold air create fog, mist, something that can be seen or does the air stay clear like normal... im assuming it dosnt change but im interested to know weater or not it does...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
why would it cause fogging????

I know the snow that gets trapped at the base of the windshield SEEMED to melt faster.

Hot melt glue gun + 4" pieces of string = cheap windtunnel testing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts