Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Civic EX 5 speed. It has 231,000 miles and the latch was kinda bad but still worked. my dad messed with it and now it doesnt work. lol

I cant get the hood open or to latch all the way.

My question is how do I fix it to the point I can at least open and shut it?
Or at least open it

Thanks

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
white lithum grease, part of PM'ing a car.

Likely needs a new cable. You can pull the cable from underneath the dash with vise grips, the replace cable and lube up the latch area.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I will have to give that a try. That is probably what is wrong with it

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
i guaran-damn-tee that its the cable. do as bone says and im pretty sure your problem will be solved

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Yeah, the one in my hatch is bad and have to manuver my finger in there and manually pull back a lever before I close the hood...otherwise it won't close. I've tried WD-40, grease...but it's basically a broken spring I think, so I'll just deal with it until I come across a free one! LOL

·
I survived code 9
1998 Honda Civic DX
1,662 Posts
Mine did this when I bought the car.

We lubed it best we could with the hood shut and used vice grips to pull on the cable from under the dash.

Now, have your dad pull upwards on the hood while you use the vice grips. Should work!

Then replace the latch.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Your Springs In the Hoods Latch are bad or might of Fallen out. Your Dad might of messed it up more for you :)TU: Dad)
Thats what it was wrong with mine, the spring is not pulling the latch to close.
If I pull latch from inside the car, the hood opens but It doesn't want to close, I have to manually push in the part that the spring supposed to push back then I let the hood go and it work. This is what I being doing with my 95 EX.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts