Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 LX AT, I removed my K&N to clean and re-grease, this morning I pulled the hood release and the cable pulled through and didn't retract. I can see from the side that the cable has disconnected from the latch side. I need to reinstall my filter, how can I release the hood if the cable is no longer connected? My local Honda shop said I will most likely have to pull the front bumper, but I can't with the hood down.

Anyone ever run into this problem, I need some advise soon.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
yep it was not broken but would not pull for enough i put my hand under pulled the latch and did a few up down tugs and it poped open where did it break? what year? if it broke at the hendle vice grips if you cant get to the metal wire like it broke in the rubber undo it 10mm bolt on the lever and coax it out. then open the door in the jam you should be able to get to it pull it out cut the rubber but not the metal like splicing a wire and pull the metal wire. replace it asap before closing hood

·
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
oh i see now
long flathead screw driver up from the bottom of the bumper after its jacked up push the peice of metal hanging down to the drivers side while tugging up and down on the hood

mine did not come off the latch but felt like it what i did was pull the latch then pry a screwdriver to pull the wire a lil farhter

·
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
oh i see now
long flathead screw driver up from the bottom of the bumper after its jacked up push the peice of metal hanging down to the drivers side while tugging up and down on the hood

mine did not come off the latch but felt like it what i did was pull the latch then pry a screwdriver to pull the wire a lil farhter
I can see the other end of the cable hanging, so it is definitely not attached to the latch.
ok this

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Hell, mine is broken too.

I just carry a pair of pliers to pop the hood with.

Going on 3 years like this.

Hope you get it replaced!!
lol, that's just a sign of how much cheaper they made the 96+ civics, broken hood release lever...

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
lol, that's just a sign of how much cheaper they made the 96+ civics, broken hood release lever...
truth! Mine release pull lever is broken too lol

I manage to pull it with my fingers tho.

in a way it's cool cuz teh cops see that it's broken so I can't open it for them :)

·
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
pinhead of neon if i may
being lazy ftmfw

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
I have the wierdest feeling that my clutch cable will break before my hood cable does...

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
if all else fails you may just wanna reach up in there and see if you can manually pop it. i think i could prob pull it off on my sol cause i did an ac delete and can reach tons of stuff lol

·
Registered
^^^^^^
416 Posts
It's a huge pain in the ass if you still have the A/C condenser installed. Same thing happened on my 4th gen civic, but I can reach my hand up and release it that way.

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
yeah...if i still couldnt get it...id just drive it to a dealer and have them pop it. id steer clear of dirt roads and puddles since the air filter isnt in.

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
your thinking he broke it in the cab....i think he said its dangling up in the bay....thus pulling that wouldnt do much good

·
Registered
646 Posts
This happened to my hatch and I just ended up cutting a hole where it latches because I was replacing the hood anyways. I tried and tried to pop it every way I could, but with AC all still in there it was impossible.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
Mine broke too.. right at the handle.. i just use my fingers and i always keep a pair of pliers with me neways..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts