Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok with my build up i'm planning on putting standard bore pistons, when changing from stocks to the srp pistons, do i need to have a machining shop hone the cylinder walls?

D

·
0 Posts
It needs to be honed. If you do not have the right touch or feel for it or are very nervous then yes take it to a machine shop. I have in the past honed my own, I have even rehoned what the machine shop did cause I was not satisfied. The last one I had done, bore and hone, the hone was better than I have ever done.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you! not comftorable honing it my self! just emailed the machine shop, hopefully they get back to me quick!

·
Registered
345 Posts
hone it urself. Its a piece of cake I swear. Just need to think before you act... plan how fast you are gonna move up and down... etc etc. I'm sure there are "HOW TO's" somewhere online.

Honed my brothers GSR, no probs...

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah if you have some common sense and get a feel for it, not too fast not too slow, good motion up and down you can do a good job. But still, some people this kinda stuff is easy, some think way way too much about it.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
make sure to use plenty of oil. ive always honed my own motors. get one of those containers that can hold standard oil, and you can pressurize with a regular air hose. as you are moving up and down do a few occasional squirts of oil

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
I coat the cylinder walls REAL good with some oil. Using a bottlebrush hone I go fairly slow. You'll know when you're getting it because the walls will to start to "pull" on the hone more. IMO I would not use a stone type hone because they are much less forgiving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts