Honda D Series Forum banner

Honda temprature sensor defect?

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  jack-armando 
#1 ·
Hello people!

My name is Jack and I am new on the forum because I bought a Honda del sol! :)

I bought this honda with the temprature gauge defect atleast that appeared during the first ride, the seller sayed that he does it occasionally (of course: lol:)

The temp gauge rises when the engine warms up past the "C" between the first & second line it just stops

I have replaced the Thermostat in the meantime

and have also replaced the Temperature sensor

No result...

I have never heard the fan turn (because it probably stays too cold)
Also have white condensation from the exhaust.

Hope you have a bit of experience with this or can think along with you, The wiring harness should I have a look at maybe melted?

( HONDA DEL SOL 1996 - D16Y8 )

Greetings from,

Jack Armando:blue:

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello Jack,

Do you have access to a multimeter?

I see you said you replaced the temperature sensor, but did you replace the temperature sender for the gauge?

The sensor sends information to the ECU. The sender is wired directly to the gauge in the cluster. The sender is just a single post unit.

If you ground the wire lead for the sender, it should peg the gauge hot.

#4 ·
I had a del sol in Tennessee during the winter, the car would only fully warm up when sitting still for long periods. I had to put a huge chunk of cardboard in front of the radiator to help with the overcooling issue I was having. Mine was with OEM t-stat and sensors, only 113k on the original B7.

What are your current temps where you live?

#8 ·
on 9-1-2018 ( Today) i will receive my new sending unit from the coolant temp sensor, 2 days ago i took my Honda for a drive around (30 minutes) after the drive i could easily feel the engine's head ( not hot )

i know you're telling me now to feel the hoses to the thermostat, but the new sensor will arrive today so i will check what happens then.

But if it opens(thermostat), should the fan not come on aswell ?

#12 ·
Hey!

I did some stuff you asked me to do so.....

The new sensor could not fit :( idk why it won't fit its for my engine and my head everything, i ordered a new 1 from a diffrent company

The sensor in the rear

U asked me to try the thermostat tubing, it was cold after a ride, once i stand still and let the engine run for 10 minutes it be came hot, after a while very hot, Could not hold on longer than 2 seconds (fan did not turn on btw)

My temp gauge wont go higher than this

at idle,driving, speeding,just standing, it will always stays at this point

For the First time i pulled my engine in to v-tec (afraid for the cold engine stuff, but after thinking, i would guess it was kinda save because the engine oil would be warm enough to lubricate enough.

After these pulls, the condense stopped from my exhaust, after coming home my engine head felt finally hotter than usual.

Still have to ground the single wired sensor to the Ground to check if the gauge even rices above the first bar.

#10 ·
The temperature gauges in most Hondas I've had don't show more than half way, and they often sit lower than that.

Could you post a picture of the gauge once the car's warmed up. There's just a chance that what you're seeing is normal.

#13 ·
To rule out bad cluster and wire ground the single temp sensor wire. This will make the needle move up if it’s working and is a quick way to know if the gauge and wire are good.

For the fan unplug the fan switch plug in the thermostat housing (round gray plug with 2 wires) and jump them with a paper clip the fan should turn on if the wiring and fan are good. The key might need to be in the on position for this to work. If fan comes on everything is working like it should up to the fan switch. The fan switch could be bad or there could be air in the cooling system or the water pump could be bad or even a clogged radiator

#16 ·
i just did all this!

i looked at the fan, plugged it to battery and it turned on.

i grounded the single wire cable to the ground and it went up very fast ! but just in time to turn the switch off ( did not hit the HOT at all )

i was just testing stuff and i reconnected everything and wanted to go home but then a friend told me that the gauge worked!

As u can see aswell my fuel gauge liked to go down aswell :D

i think temp gauge was stuck ?
or something made a better connection ?

i already removed the cables tons of times so reconnecting was not the fix?

anyways it works, for now!
tomorrow i will re-check if it will go up by itself this time.

Already thanks for everyone's there help !

#14 ·
Fan should kick in when the motor almost reach boiling point, at 8 degrees Celsius you're going to have a hard time to get it to that point.

If I may, what is that singe point wire underneath the dizzy?
Jack, I hope you will understand my Afrikaans. Ek hoop jy kom gou reg met jou probleem.

#18 ·
Sooo today i tested it, and guess what it was stuck again !!!

after grounding the single wire again it fixed it right away.

but probably when the engine is cooled off its just back in problems

i think that my temp gauge could get stuck somewhere in my gauge pod ?

idk makes the most sense to me

#20 ·
i found the problem!

now i just have to fix it.

The temp gauge is somewhere stuck!

This sounds maybe a lil strange but when i push near the temp gauge on my gauge pod (when engine is hot) i can see my indicator move i kept doing this until it reaches the point it won't go up anymore ( the ideal temp )

So its just stuck or there is some sort of tension on it

i will break the gauge pod down to see if i can find someting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.