Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
If the pay and benefits are good then what questions need answered lol

I'm Honda factory trained but I'm still in school so can't offer any knowledge to a dealer atmosphere.

·
Registered
93 eg coupe
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the pay and benefits are good then what questions need answered lol

I'm Honda factory trained but I'm still in school so can't offer any knowledge to a dealer atmosphere.
Yeah just being cautious , I make 30k at jiffy lube , but no insurance......

If someone asked me how is jiffylube to work for I'd say their ok once your a manager.

I haven't worked for a dealership , or flat rate book time yada yada yada

Just looking for info yo ....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm Honda certified, I work for an Acura dealer which I've been at for the last 3 years. Honestly? Pay sucks, work sucks, I don't recommend working on cars for a living to anyone.

It is all a matter of how fast you can work and how well you know the cars. When it comes down to it, most of the older techs by me aren't smart when it comes to cars. They know Acura/Honda, what's common, and how to fix that. They are idiots to anything else or how to figure new things out.

Once you work there for a while and figure out the common problems and get good at guessing (dealers guess, it's fact, just something you have to get good with) and flying through services you can make good money flat rate. But be prepared to work hard and bust your ass for decent pay and have your body worn out in 20 years.

·
Registered
93 eg coupe
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm Honda certified, I work for an Acura dealer which I've been at for the last 3 years. Honestly? Pay sucks, work sucks, I don't recommend working on cars for a living to anyone.

It is all a matter of how fast you can work and how well you know the cars. When it comes down to it, most of the older techs by me aren't smart when it comes to cars. They know Acura/Honda, what's common, and how to fix that. They are idiots to anything else or how to figure new things out.

Once you work there for a while and figure out the common problems and get good at guessing (dealers guess, it's fact, just something you have to get good with) and flying through services you can make good money flat rate. But be prepared to work hard and bust your ass for decent pay and have your body worn out in 20 years.
Thanks for the response

Not promising ha ha

Whats the insurance like ?

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts

LOLOL. Sounds exactly like a friend of mine. Impression from both of my friends that are techs at honda dealers...hard work for little ass pay.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
I was a tech for a year at a local Honda dealership. Had the chance to move up to flat right til I injured my wrist.:jerkit: I have a degree in the medical field but wanted to try out my luck with my passion of working, driving and just being around cars. Man the work was very hard but the atmosphere was great. Just a bunch of dudes wrenchin' and talking shit to each other. But in terms of income, I don't think I will ever reach the potential to make as much money as work in the medical field.

All the techs ranked higher than me told me the same thing. Use your degree and keep cars as a hobby!!! I am in no way discouraging you from the job since I do miss it. If management at the shop is cool then work is fun as hell. Underpaid, overworked, underappreciated but that is the nature of the job.

The only real way to make money as a tech is flat-rate, busting ass day in and day out. I've known some techs pull 70 hrs. of flat-rate labor in a 40 hr. work week. I've known techs do a timing belt job on a single cam in 45 min. You just have to keep at it. Start off slow and build up speed gradually. Just like anything else in life. Whether on the racetrack, the shop, the hospital.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
A good friend of mine loves it but he is a freak of nature. Has the most hours recorded for a single week in the state I believe. He pulled 120 hours flat rate in a 40 hour week.

Most the other techs say pay is shit unless you can bang work out......

I work at sears for a while, that was a dead end job, honda is better!

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
A friend of mine in town used to be a Honda Tech at Breakaway Honda in Greenville. After a few years he couldn't take it anymore. But he did like how at any time he could work on his ride in the garage and have free use of the tools/lifts/etc.

·
Registered
93 eg coupe
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A friend of mine in town used to be a Honda Tech at Breakaway Honda in Greenville. After a few years he couldn't take it anymore. But he did like how at any time he could work on his ride in the garage and have free use of the tools/lifts/etc.
Thanks for the responses guys.

This is the dealership in spartanburg...

I did hear that the one in gville is largest , best, honda around....????

What's a good start pay with one Ase ? 18 hour?

·
Registered
472 Posts
18 is good. I don't make close to that. But the way I shop works they split our shop in to two halves with about 7 techs on each "team". Our hours are totaled and split between the team, you can earn individual bonuses based on your own personal hours you flag in a week. Get paid for more hours than you are there and being on teams we are guaranteed good paychecks, if you had a bad week you aren't going home broke that week.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I always purchased my Honda OEM parts from Breakaway, but I've got no clue if they're the biggest/best around. Just the closest to me I guess. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
It totally depends on the dealer since they are privately owned. I worked at one small family dealer and busted my ass for them and in return they took excellent care of me. It was great and I made 65k my second year there, flat rate obviously. I only left because my relationship with my fiance fell apart so I moved home (12 hours away).

The other dealer that I worked at for the bulk of my career is owned by a greedy money hungry family that owns 6 other dealerships and doesn't give a shit about you unless you are in sales. They only thing that kept me there was that the other techs were so cool that many of them are still my best friends.

Corporate Honda is terrible, the work is getting harder and the flat rate hours are going down. Warranty claims are going way up and again the pay is going down. They've lost focus on quality and are only looking at the bottom line. It's what I call a GM way of thinking. Build a cheap shitty product and let the techs at the dealer clean up the mess for peanuts. At least GM techs make pretty good money.

The other thing that matters is the service advisors. If the advisors are pissing off every customer, making unrealistic promises or just not selling "upsells" or service work then it's going to affect your pay in a big way. Check with the advisors and see how long they have been there, if they have been with the company a long time, they are probly doing something right.

Hope that helps. Saying at school was that you are better off being a plumber, way less tools to buy and only gotta know 2 things "shit flows down and payday is on friday"

·
Registered
93 eg coupe
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply

I received a phone call last week informing me I received the JOB (Tech).....

Sat down crunched some numbers, Insurance... big deal in my world.

He knows my background in management ,wink wink we'll go from there he said:)

Sounds pretty good

Pros 5 min from house
Insurance short term ,long term disability,
Life too. For the kiddy sake!

I'm ready to take a chance ....:)

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Glad to hear you got the job. What tech level if you don't mind me asking? If this is your first tech job, take it slow and ask a lot of questions. Management never likes comebacks. And they will make you fix comebacks off the clock, at least at my old shop they did. It is one hell of a job. Save your body and use proper body mechanics. Bend with knees, not at waist etc.

·
Registered
93 eg coupe
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stretch it up....lol

Thanks man
Entry level , real cool though, he wants to check me out see how things roll. I'd feel better just cruising until I feel comfortable. I manage a Jiffy lube now comebacks or no good.

REALLY EXCITED TO GO ... anxiety from leaving a company I've been with for six years though.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
I make 28.75/hr as a Toyota tech here. I'm fairly new to the trade (<5 years) so I average about 100 hours a paycheck. On track for a 65k year this year. There's a lot more on the table to be had, most other techs beat me. How much you make is not only up to the individual, but how organized the service department is with booking, the amount of work it can see in its location, how good the service advisors are, etc.

I'm not an angry guy but flat rate frustrates me when I'm losing money or working for free because of other people's idiocy. And there's a lot of that around dealerships. But now that I've been working there a while I'm coming to the point where I can put my foot down and say no to bullshit jobs and it feels kinda good haha.

EDIT: Also a BIG help is a service manager who will stand up for techs when the situation calls for it. We have one idiot advisor who likes to do as much for free as possible for the customer and when I get one of their work orders that's "no charge this" and "no charge that" I can usually talk to the manager and he'll give it to someone that's straight time or get me some time for doing it.

I'd just like to take a second to bitch about this particular advisor. She has no automotive background and is totally clueless, she thinks mechanics are rip off artists, and when you hand her a sheet of upsells she sighs because it's "too expensive" and she doesn't want to try and sell it. Advisors like this have no place in a service department and I honestly have no idea why she still works for us.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts