Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
toyota matrix xrs
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 95 cx for a little while now, had a few issues with it one of course is the rot in the rear quarters...not that bad, i tore the carpet out of the car only to find alot of cancer back by the passenger side rear floor.

IMG_20130821_190513[1].jpg

My buddy a few month ago decided to go ahead and cut out the floor panel( majority of where your feet would go if you were sitting in the back seat) plan was to just weld in new panel and call it a day. well it got pushed to the side and sat. terrible idea... last night i got back into it and started seeing where the cancer has spread to, didnt get too far but there is a few areas where im not too sure if i should cut it out or try my best to treat it orrrrrrr has it gotten too far for a DIYer to continue this. I have the tools and supplys to pretty much do anything but im not sure as to whether im started to hack into anything structual.

IMG_20130822_203843[1].jpg

Any ideas will help and layouts of frames and supports will help i looked quick on the internet this morning and cant find much as to what holds the car together/helps support the frame/subframe or whatever lol

if you see in the pics theres that little oblonged hole that looks like a tow hooks or strap down thats pretty rotted and i dont know if that can come out and be mocked up and welded back into place

IMG_20130822_203900[1].jpg

bad pic of what im talking about but if you see where that hoorible rust is at towards the middle of the pic thats the piece im talking about everything else thats towards the back of the car looks and sounds solid just basically all to the left of that.

thanks in advance

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
My friend... you have a lot of work in front of you and I hope you are good with a welder and metal working. That is a lot of rot and ALL of the rust must be romved and new metal welded in and painted or it will rust again rather quickly in the same spot.

·
Registered
toyota matrix xrs
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i understand there is alot to cut out and i know i have alot of work infront of me my question is as far as what you guys can see here is there anything that cant be cut out like am i going to be loosing structual integrity, im not too worried about the welding and metal work i work in a machine shop and i have access to alot of different tooling so as far as metal work i should be alright

like can that one piece i was talking about earlier, it looks like a tow hook spot can that be removed and replaced with a mock up piece or is that supporting something

·
Registered
1993 Honda Civic EX
93 Posts
I say go for it man, you could probably get it done. As for loosing structural integrity, as long as you weld in some proper sheet metal it shouldn't be an issue as far as I know.

·
Registered
toyota matrix xrs
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I say go for it man, you could probably get it done. As for loosing structural integrity, as long as you weld in some proper sheet metal it shouldn't be an issue as far as I know.
im going to go for it lol I really have nothing to loose the car is pretty much shot with the hole in the floor anyway but I don't want to cause a bigger problem than what I have already, all I really need to know is if that one piece im talking about (with what appears to be a tow hook tie down) has any structural support to the car if not Ill cut it out and be able to get to the rest of the rust and replace it

·
Registered
toyota matrix xrs
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good luck, I know how hard it is to find a hatch in any kind of shape in PA :thumbsup:
thanks

Take pics of everything as you do it and post it up. We love a good saving a car thread.
ill try my best.. I love them too lol

well since nobody has really come back with an answer as far as anything structural I guess ill start cutting more out and seeing what all cancer I have

·
Registered
toyota matrix xrs
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my bad man between the weather and work and my birthday being yesterday it got put on the back burner, but im not sitting here doing nothing lol im reading absolutly every write up i can find either here or clubcivic wherever to see how far people actually go into replacing panels and such, from what im finding mostly people only have write ups on just quarters and rockers nothing as far as these other pieces ive been talking about. but i did order up a "SUPER STARTER KIT" LOL from POR 15 to take care of some of the other small rust spots

what do you guys think of POR 15

·
Registered
toyota matrix xrs
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So last night I had a little time to continue cutting and got a small piece out of the rear seat and what do you know mooore rust fml, im looking at buying a small mig welder to do this job all i have now is a stick and from what ive heard its damn near impossible to do with a stick. debating on where to order new quarters from, im thinking rock auto ive seen them on powerblock all the time ( commercials suck but) they seem to be legit. Still waiting on POR to get in i saw it shipped the other day.
IMG_20130828_195148.jpg
Its looking mostly like surface rust I might just blast it out and treat it with the POR

Like i said i dont have much time to do all of this so im trying my best to get as much done as i can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts