Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
a car
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Dealership to get prices today for rod and main bearings for a future build. they said it all depends on the color and size of the bearing. but the prices they gave me seemed weird, they were not sure if they came by individual bearing, or by a set(one set = one rod bearing, top and bottom)

but the prices they gave were:
Rod bearings:~$110 for the full set
Main Bearings: ~$120 for the set

is this right? or should the prices be different?

also

would it be necessary to get bearings directly from honda, or would the bearings from oreillys suffice?(i got a good idea on the answer to this)

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

·
Registered
a car
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm. well what is really preferred and has been proven to last longer? i dont want to put race bearings in and have to tear the motor back down 30,000 miles later

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
check out Majestichonda.com prices are cheaper. It looks like they price each bearing half at 9.36, so that times ten for the crank is 93.60, and for the rods you need eight, so they would be 74.88....of course there's tax and shipping too, so it might very well be close to the same as your dealer....

·
Registered
a car
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah pretty much the same as the dealer. so i would go ahead and get them from the dealer instead of majestic.

im gonna do some research on the king and ACL bearings. i havent heard a lot about them as ofyet

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
I'm only using oem honda bearings because I will be able to get my clearances exaclty where I want them. I believe ACL std bearings are the same as Honda oem 'red' If ACL listed their bearing sizes like Honda did, I"d go with them.....

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
my motor needs all yellow rod bearings, and pink and red main bearings....gonna be costly, but I'm going with oem, unless ACL has color coded sizes that I don't know about...lol

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
my motor needs all yellow rod bearings, and pink and red main bearings....gonna be costly, but I'm going with oem, unless ACL has color coded sizes that I don't know about...lol
Myself I'd invest in a new oil pump and cheap bearings, check clearances.

Ask yourself, are you building a 300k mile motor like Honda did originally? Are you going by the original bearing sizes even though the crank is worn on all 10 bearing points?

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts

Ask yourself, are you building a 300k mile motor like Honda did originally? Are you going by the original bearing sizes even though the crank is worn on all 10 bearing points?
trust me, have a new oem honda oil pump on the shelf, and have mic'd all journals and done the math. with ACL std bearings installed and torqued, using plastiguage I get aprox .0015 clearance, and using the mic they read slightly tighter. I wanted .0010, so that is why I need pinks on a couple main journals, and yellows for all the rod journals ;) this is a DD build that I want high mileage out of.....

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Kings in mine. No problem. Just make sure your clearances are good. Mic and plastigage to double check.

-Luke

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
For the record, I dont think it wise to recommend RACE bearings.

Wee bit hard for a daily driving environment, or for long lasting reliability.

Some Kings supposedly are softer then ACL's. I never used either, I am a partsstore guy for wear and tear items for the most part

·
Registered
91 HB
218 Posts
My experience as far as bearings go.
OEM bearings are good for OEM engines.

I ran OEM in my short lived turbo build and i spun a bearing about 6000 miles into it.

If i were in your shoes. Id go for King, or ACL.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
and then there are people who have ran 500whp on oem bearings and survived nearly a 100k

I think bearing choice comes down to the type of your you use, the surface of your crank and journals, and how often you wanna change oil

·
Registered
a car
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

nah, not that high. i would like to get 100,000 to 150,000 miles before another teardown. it is sitting at 177,777 miles on all original bearings right now. doesnt burn a drop. but i would get the crank micropolished before it goes back in.

Kings in mine. No problem. Just make sure your clearances are good. Mic and plastigage to double check.

-Luke
i will plastiguage two or three times and have the shop mic the crank about the same
and then there are people who have ran 500whp on oem bearings and survived nearly a 100k

I think bearing choice comes down to the type of your you use, the surface of your crank and journals, and how often you wanna change oil
daily driven, possibly boosted at 250hp and such. i change oil every 5000 miles now. or if it gets really black before 5000 miles. if it gets boosted, it will be every 3000 miles

i could care less about price to a point, i just want this motor to last as long as possible

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
Why micropolish the crank now? Most shops ruin Honda cranks when they polish them as they forget they spin backwards.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts