Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums and I’m going to be straight cut, I’ve never worked on a Honda in my life until now I’ve always built V8s and I feel as though I’ll probably get Murdered in this thread I’ll still be asking the noobiest question possible.

D16Y7 head onto a D15B7 block. I’ve got everything down except the timing part I’ve scorched these forums for a week now from posts back to 2003 and I’ve yet to get a clean cut answer, if I use the Y7 cam gear it’ll be 1/2 tooth off/4.5* out of time correct? So to combat that do I get a different gear, send it, get an adjustable and retard it 4.5*, get an adjustable and advance it 4.5*? Also which belt will I need to use? This is an extremely slapped together thing but needs to be reliable it’s going to be my fiancé’s daily driver and it’s going to have my son in the back of it I can’t afford to get a B7 head so I’m using the Y7 I already had laying around, any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Here is a tip for your d16y7 deal. Treat it mechanically likea d16y8. They use the same exact cam gear height centerline, and the same mechanical timing!

That should relaly help with searches!

But Rob above is correct. the D15B7 camgear can be used. Then I believe it is a D16Z6 timing belt, due to the B7 having a large timing tensioner pulley.

LOOK at the tooth count of the timing belt. If memory serves me correctly, D15b7 is 103 teeth, d16z6 is 104 teeth, and d16y8 is 106 teeth.

Again, search to verify. My memory is bad, and Ive been drinking. After all, it is Friday!

Reactions: robgoof
1 - 3 of 3 Posts