Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. Just picked myself up a 1998 Honda Civic Dx 3dr 5spd. She has 168000 on the clock and she is running strong. I have come to find out it has a full D16Y8 swap with P4A-B 5spd. I learned this when I found out the head gasket had a tiiiiiny leak in it and had to replace it. From there I have learned a lot about this car and its shady past. Lots of twist and tape wiring for the motor swap, ebay header and short ram... but none the less I just needed a winter beater and this ran and drove well and came with a set of winter meat. Living in West MI and commuting 400 miles a week, this car fit my list of needs in a DD. Just put my baby to sleep for the winter. 2007 Scion Tc Turbo- 130k miles on the clock and I am the second owner since 2008. Doesn't get the best MPG and drinks premium. 26-28 HWY vs 33-34 in the civic.

Attachments

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Confused at the title, but will let you explain. Welcome. Whats the plan from here on out? I too rock a y8 swap, but they kept the intake etc from the b7 for ease.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Confused at the title, but will let you explain. Welcome. Whats the plan from here on out? I too rock a y8 swap, but they kept the intake etc from the b7 for ease.
HAHAHAHA Just being goofy. I am more of a Toyota guy is what it eludes to. Parents used to have a Civic and a Camry and I used the Camry most of the time then I went to my TC. Also, me and my friends call the Civic the whorey old wizard. I cleaned it up in my sig a bit.

Plans right now are to fix the stupid ISB and more than likely put an MFactory 3rd gear and swap 4th with stock 3rd. The motor looks really healthy. Smooth as glass cylinders, no scoring or marking of any kind. If turbo kits weren't so cheap for this car I would probably build my own next spring. Looking at the GoAutoworks kit.

The guy who did this swap confuses me. The cylinder head code on the motor is from a 98 automatic EX, has a 5spd and intake from a manual, the P.S reservoir is from a 93-95, the wheels are 95 Del Sol factory 13" Enkeis... everything is just kind of haggard. It just needed a little TLC.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Yeah have fun fixing it, I know as I take one project on it ends up exposing three more things to fix. I wont stop till I am happy though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah have fun fixing it, I know as I take one project on it ends up exposing three more things to fix. I wont stop till I am happy though.
The problem with this car is the more I fix it, the more I love it... stupid car! This wasn't supposed to be serious! lol.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Uhh I guess welcome..

Wondering what the thread is about besides an intro based on the title..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's Honda! It sucks you in. The older they are, the more fun (I think) ;)
This car is way more raw than my newer car. I feel more in control even though its mostly stock. The more you feel like you could die at any moment the more fun lol. Arrogant Bastard is some good stuff BTW!

Uhh I guess welcome..

Wondering what the thread is about besides an intro based on the title..
What should it be about? Do you suggest I change it to something logical? Im just trying to have some fun here and get acquainted with the locals. Seems pretty negative around these parts though...

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Cant change it now.. its now permanent.

I dont see negativity, maybe just a bit sensitive?

This forum is full of stand up guys and 1 idiot (no, not you)..

But as always, you dont walk into a strangers house and reach right into the fridge.. So poke around and educate yourself. Any logical question u have will most likely have a thread on it as these cars are 15+ years old. that means every square inch of the 88-00 civic has been covered somewhere. Any other logical questions will be answered logically. So sit back and enjoy your new purchase.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cant change it now.. its now permanent.

I dont see negativity, maybe just a bit sensitive?

This forum is full of stand up guys and 1 idiot (no, not you)..

But as always, you dont walk into a strangers house and reach right into the fridge.. So poke around and educate yourself. Any logical question u have will most likely have a thread on it as these cars are 15+ years old. that means every square inch of the 88-00 civic has been covered somewhere. Any other logical questions will be answered logically. So sit back and enjoy your new purchase.

Thanks bud. Google is my friend. I have been able to fix this beast thus far because of it. The problem with 15+ years of info on the internet is sifting through the stupid stuff.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Well the mod team on here is good about sifting thru the stupid stuff..

The mods on HT is another story.. LOL << Dont ask.. Its an inside joke for those who know.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
This forum is full of stand up guys and 1 idiot (no, not you)

There are a few. Typically the guys who have a red dot and over 100 posts. Don't be that guy.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sup Ron. Thats actually a good combo IMO, the automatic engines are typically in better shape cause people are more likely to beat on sticks than automatic cars. The automatic transmission will give up way sooner than the engine will ever see a problem.

But you cant use the OBD2 automatic intake manifold or atleast throttle body, in a manual car, very easily, so that explains that. And your car might not have even had power steering from the factory, I dont think the 5th Gen hatchbacks did anyway. Sorta explains that bit too, personally I dont like power steering but it does make life easier at times.

P.s. They're talking about me lol. Fuck it atleast I dont circle jerk on a forum called d series

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Speak of the devil.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Sup Ron. Thats actually a good combo IMO, the automatic engines are typically in better shape cause people are more likely to beat on sticks than automatic cars. The automatic transmission will give up way sooner than the engine will ever see a problem.

But you cant use the OBD2 automatic intake manifold or atleast throttle body, in a manual car, very easily, so that explains that. And your car might not have even had power steering from the factory, I dont think the 5th Gen hatchbacks did anyway. Sorta explains that bit too, personally I dont like power steering but it does make life easier at times.

P.s. They're talking about me lol. Fuck it atleast I dont circle jerk on a forum called d series
I'd rather circle jerk than be an asshat troll! If you hate it so much then gtfo!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Finally someone that is willing to use the 3rd Gear upgrade. Serious bang for the buck there.

I know all about the Turbo tCs... Man they are a beast.

Good luck and have fun.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
... Smooth as glass cylinders...
Hopefully not smooth as glass, you do want cross hatches in the cylinders still. If they are smooth like glass expect some oil consumption.

Welcome, I am the resident Yota master here so be careful... there can be only one!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts