Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y7 block fully Machined Cryogenicly treated. Z6 Crank micro polished And Balanced Cryogenicly treated. Scat Forged Rods and Pistons Balanced and Cryogenicly treated. I fully assembled short block already. Working on Factory Oil pump now. Opening it up, slimmed pressure spring .035".. blue printed all tolerances.
Just picked up a Y8 vtec head yesterday. .. going to Port it myself.. All Crower Springs chromoly retainers Supertech locks Ferrea 5000 Stainless steel valves.. .. Where do I get Lost motion springs from??

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
283 Posts
Unfortunately, as far as I know, you can only buy new D series LMAs from Honda or used from eBay or classifieds if available.

Here is a link, and part number for purchasing for D16Y8 (item #20):

https://www.1hondaparts.com/auto-parts/1999/honda/civic-coupe/ex-trim/5-speed-manual-engine/engine-cat/cylinder-head-vtec-scat

I can't say for certain regarding the design of the D16Z6 LMA holder, but the D16Y8 holder design has 4 somewhat large holes drilled at an angle at the top of the LMA holder, with a small oil gallery that surrounds the LMA. The LMAs are splash fed oil from the valvetrain, and oil seeping down through that hole fills the gallery and keeps the spring/cylinder assembly lubed.

The B series stock LMAs are similar, they are springs that are encased in a steel cylinder housing. They are located below the camshaft, so oil splashing around under the valve cover and dripping off the camshaft and rocker arms keeps them coated in oil continuously.

Regardless, both styles are still just springs in the same sense (they are not hydraulic "lifter" type devices, they are not fed oil pressure). No one seems to make D series aftermarket LMAs like they do for the B series, which are simply just upgraded springs that fit in the stock hole location.

I'm sure it has to do with the "high performance" characteristics of the D series engine (sarcasm). The need is probably not there to justify designing aftermarket sets for the D. You're stuck with Honda or eBay, I've never seen them at aftermarket parts stores either.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts