Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about getting into bikes. Ive been interested in the look of bobbers and since i enjoy the honda brand so much i want to keep it in the family. I like the rebels and shadow lines. Im going to be looking into getting my license soon. Then pick up something for less than $2000 that i can make my own and fix if needed. Does anyone here have and experience with small honda engines? Im looking at 250's 400's and 750's. Any recommendations are welcome i have almost no idea what im getting into. Just looking for something fun, good looking, and that i can take to work everyday(~16mi round trip)

An end result like this would be awesome...

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
How big of a guy are you?

I ask because we bought my wife the Rebel 250, and of course I had to take it for a ride home the first day since it was ready but she was not. It did not like my size, I am 6 foot 200lbs.

Can't accelerate like a bike normally should with me on it. She on the other hand had no issues. I got it up to 50 but it took a while and was kind of slow to respond. Again wit her on it she would ride next to me no problem, just slower on the uptake.

The bike it self is pretty good, has the right frame to make a good looking bobber out of it. I would just go with the 400 size bike, still nice and light but has enough go to get you on the freeway if needed, and some go to get you out of the way when needed.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
^^ Weak Engine?

Rebuild it! :)

Or turbo it! :)

That being said, I really like the color and style,

I'd like to get one someday..

If you're over 30, I would seriously look into getting what you want.

You're gonna die soon and quite possibly over halfway done!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Was a brand new 250, I had a cbr600rr at the time, might have been a contributing factor.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
I've been thinking the same, but more of like 70s yamaha 650 or 750s.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Start with a 650 or larger bike or you will soon be seeking something larger. 250 is a great size to learn on if you have never ridden before but if you have some experience or have basic knowledge of bikes a 650 should suffice your needs for a daily commuter.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
You might be surprised with the 250 stripped down, you are a good size for a bike. Like said above you will get bored, it is better to go a little bigger and enjoy for longer then to go too small and have to sell it right after you finish building it.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah im thinking a shadow to start with 700cc. I could get a newer rebel for the same price but i want to be able to get up to fwy speeds :) im asking for the basic riders course for my b-day gift. That way they provide everything required to obtain my license. Then i can hunt down my first bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts