Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to turbos, but im interested in making my own setup. I have researched, and looked at most of the good info. on building my own setup. My ultimate goal is a fun, auto x/dd car that should spool quickly. I'm not too sure on how quickly 2,800;3,000;3,500 but I know it should be in that range. From what I've heard for auto x (turbo) it shouldn't have more than around 225hp, but that would be what im aspiring to. Now my question is which turbo should i use t25, ihi...? I dont know how much lag/avail. horsepower each turbo produces. I also need reliability for my daily.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
T25,14B,ihiRB25, any of these would suit your needs. The fastest spooling one out of them would be the T25.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boostoholic said:
The fastest spooling one out of them would be the T25.
Actually, the IHI spool about 200-400rpms faster than the T25. Giving you a full 8psi (internally wastegated) at 3000-3200rpms (depending on head flow). Wheread a T25 normally ranks in between 3300-3700rpms (again, depending on head flow). 14bs will spool 8psi around 3800-4100rpms.

This data gathered personalyl from my previous turbo setups. Motors ranging from A6, Z6, and Y7/Y8 mini, respectively.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i also dont want the top end (hp/tq) to decrease. if anyone could be more specific about the turbo specs of each of these turbos, and hopefully some dyno's with setups that somewhat fit my description.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone with t28 specs? What are the maximum psi's of each, and will all of the turbo's listed t25, t28, ihi, 14b be able to eventually make around 200+ hp w/somewhat good high and low end?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AutoX car doens't need top end.

When I tune a customers car for autoX, we tune for high output, mid to high rpm. Second gear.

HP ratings mean nothing, CFM is where your power will lie.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
he could get a t25 turbo and put a t28 housing on it. it would give him a little better flow charastics and stull offer the .43 exhausting he si needing for fast spooling.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well basically i dont want it to drop, but i would also like some decent 1/4 times.
since you know about autox what rpm would be most beneficial for boost

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you're truly wanting an autoX car.. a turbo is not the route to go.

You should do a custom supercharger. A lot of old cars used to come with little centrifugal superchargers. Make a custom mounting bracket where ytour A/C would normally go, use the A/C space on the pully, run some piping, and you're done. Very simple. Great acceleration.

The sudden bursts of power the turbo produces is not ideal for corning. Accelerating during the apex f a corn will induce understeer, corrupting your drive line. A limited slip differential will help, but not cure the issue. Especially if you have a small turbo that spools fast.

To compensate, a larger turbo will help cornering, however, you'll die exiting the corner due to lag of boost build. It's a very fine balance.

Honestly, I would throw together a custom supercharger setup, race in STS, and call it best time of the for the class. :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what are all the negatives about puting a supercharger in? I heard from a guy on HT who has been autox for 5yrs. that his t25 is a really good setup for autox can anyone support this with their own setup/experience? Anyone autox their turbo D and like it, if so whats your setup?

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
or just got all motor with a rough cam and the right bit of tuning ... all motor you'll have a better throttle response ... turbo lag is involved .. which like turboef9 said will kill you coming out of the turns .. think about it ... for the price of a turbo ( custom or prefab ) you can easily beef up your N/A motor and still have some change left :) but , thats just a suggestion

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
one of the main reasons i would like to custom turbo my d is because b-swaps are out of my budget, but if a sc can do the same job at round the same price i might have to start looking into that as well.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i would go with the 14b and spool time also has to do with how big of an exhaust you will be using. The smaller the exhaust the slower the spool. The bigger the exhaust the faster the spool but you will lose bottom end with the bigger exhaust if you go to big

1 - 20 of 22 Posts