Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i did this out of boredom, i know it looks a little rough right now but i am not finished with it, i can't find spot putty over here in the uk for some reason to fill the small voids and i haven't cut the holes for the gauge because i haven't bought them yet.Ok here is the supplies needed
Fiberglass mat kit w/ extra mat
bondo
fine filler{optional}
spot putty
mixing cups
stirrers
scissors
medium and fine sand paper
pencil grinder

ok i took a bunch of pictures then my camera ran out of batteries so i lost all of them but i still have a few but here is how i did it:
1} take out the instrument cluster trim
2} where the vents are i broke them off they should snap out but i got impatient and broke them then everything will come out.
3 }scuff sand down the area around the opening of the vents to about where the clock sits (TAKE THE CLOCK OUT) and where the emergeny lights switch is(take that out too) then clean it up with a rag and rubbin alcohol
4} lay down the mat over the vent opening and the edges around it then saturate it and let cure heat lamp or a regular lamp with a good bulb will help
5} after it has fully dried take a pencil grinder and grind off the part of the fiberglass that is hanging off the edge where the clock and hazard button is if you have any and around the edges then take some mat and cut about a 3/4 cup of it really fine and mix it with the hardener then fill in the holes behind the glass mat(where the vents were it will have like a 1/4 lip on the backside fill it up with the chopped fibers and harder...or use bonbo hair (bondo with fiberglass in it)
6} once that has fully cured put a layer of bondo over the fiberglass mat then let it cure
7} sand it down smooth keeping the original shape of the vent area..apply other layers if necessary
8} after you get done you might want to put a few layers of the fine filler to fill the medium sized voids in it...if there aren't any then move along
9} using spot putty apply in thin layers over the top making it really smooth and when you have it like you want it smooth it out by wet sanding
10} paint and your done now for the pics, don't mind the red climate control it was like that when i bought it..the whole interior was gloss black and red like that :fag: he was like "why are you putting all the stock interior in, that shit is ugly" hahaha

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this is after the fiberglass , bondo and now waiting for fine filler to dry...remember my camera ran out of batteries so i lost alot of pics :cry:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for the picture unperfect quality but here it is mounted on my car i didn't pay to much attention to detail to the middle of the repair since i am cutting holes in it anyways for my gauges and shut up about the red climate control once again i know how gay it looks ok!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you guys have other questions just email me i will try to photoshop a finished product so you can get the idea of what it should look like

·
Registered
167 Posts
hard to do?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no it is fairly easy to do..it just takes time to do with waiting for everything to cure then it will take a little longer if you dont have a pneumatic sander and have to sand it by hand. sorry i haven't posted pics with the gauges installed i haven't bought them yet haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts