Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this interesting info on the GN forums. There is much wisdom amongst these guys. Anyways these little recipes seem to make sense on paper, but i am wondering if some sort of blending agent is needed. Assuming the gasoline and whatever is added get blended properly physically (stirring/sloshing), will it stay blended? Will the octane of the fuel leaving the injectors stay consistent?

Please chime in!

Homebrew Octane Boosters

FORMULA 1
Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

FORMULA 2
Xylene
R+M/2...117
Cost...$2.75/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...97.0 Octane
30%...99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toulene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toulene and advertised as *race formula*.

FORMULA 3
Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2...118
Cost...$3.50/gal
10%...94.6 Octane
20%...97.2 Octane
30%...99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toulene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

FORMULA 4
Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combines with water.

FORMULA 5
Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...Not Recommended
30%...Not Recommended
Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

MAKE YOUR OWN OCTANE BOOST

How to make your own octane booster (this is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products). To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toulene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
From what I understand of chemistry, different hydrocarbons should blend together readily, so I think you can mix something like Toulene in with gasoline (which is itself a mixture) and make some pretty high octane fuel.
Back in the days of Aircooled VWs and Porsches octane was a critical for keeping those engines cool when turbocharged. Toulene mixtures were a favorite when trying to track a modified 911 Turbo.

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
749 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts

·
Registered
Ek sedan
382 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Have Fun working with Aromatic Hydrocarbons.

That mix sounds like a Great way to fuck up your AFR/oiling system.

Spritz some water into the intake at idle if you're worried about cleanliness, or better yet, tune it better!

Whatever happened to water injection, or just running alcohol?

Methanol, Ethanol, Propanol, Butanol?

You can literally burn 1000s of different things. What about DMF?

Make E95 out of rotten food, or grow fuits in the back yard to turn into fuel, run it.

You can drink what you don't burn.

Like Mixes with Like.

Polar molecules will stick to polar molecules and non-polar molecules hang out with non-polar molecules.

That being said, alcohol is like soap and has a polar end and a non-polar end, the non-polar side increasing with the list above from 1 carbon to 4.

Water is Polar, Hydrocarbons are not, unless they contain a electronegative element unsymmetrical pulling electron density from the molecule's polar region.

Methanol in the gas tank has always been the easiest one, and passes emissions with flying colors by leaning it out.

Those prices above are bullshit and I challenge you to find them at the listed price.

Do you people know the effects of running Solvent as Fuel?

Have you ever looked at the lengths big boys go through as a result of the solvent properties?

Good Luck Reading!

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I put in denatured alcohol for emmisions. Not sure what its made of though. But I would never use it regularly as my engine seemed to not perform as well with it in the tank. But hey it helped me to pass so I'm fine with that

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Corolla
272 Posts
^ Denatured Alcohol is usually just 90% Ethanol and 10% Methanol. All it really is, is drinking alcohol that has been mixed with something that makes it deadly to drink and methanol does a really good job at killing lol.

All this is done so it can be sold as a cleaning agent, because if it was just Ethanol there would be a liquor tax on it, making it much more expensive.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Don't be so quick with those percentage,

I'd put a lot of money on them denaturing it with something a lot more sneaky and harder to extract than methanol...

Spray the -30F Window Deicer from Vatozone into your intake and be done.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Don't be so quick with those percentage,

I'd put a lot of money on them denaturing it with something a lot more sneaky and harder to extract than methanol...

Spray the -30F Window Deicer from Vatozone into your intake and be done.
they do use more than just methanol, because people used to (prohibition era) re-distill denatured alcohol to pull out the methanol to drink the now pure(r) ethanol

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Winner Winner :)

It was a test question on an exam, ahah

They use Nasty shit you don't wanna drink like Ether and Biterants and toxic shit like Ter-butyl alcohol.

That being said, it's great to clean your crack rocks with when cold! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts