Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know right off the bat most people are not goin to like this idea.

I was reading on the diesel forums this evening trying to find a 9cm2 housing for my Holset H1c so I can use it in my D16z6 build. In my quest to find one I discovered that some of the diesel guys that cant find the housing that they are looking for are making a custom aluminum or copper gasket for the divided housing and blocking one side. In theory it works like a fast spool valve but never opens the other side. If you think about it, it will cut the size of the housing in half. In my case I have a 18cm housing and have been looking for a 9cm housing for the H1c or HX35(as they are basically the same turbo and use the same housings and wheels). From what they have been sayin if you do this its exactly like using a housing half the size of the one you have.

I have been thinkin about this tonight and it makes sense to me as why this would work.

I am trying to get everyone else's thought and ideas on this.

I am willing to put my motor and turbo up as a guinea pig.

One reason I am willing to do this is that it will make things so much easier to get this build done. As I am having a prob with my Garrett T3 turbo and making everything work for me.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have the stainless I can make one out of. Yeah I know the QSV is a better idea but I dont have $500 for one and I am not paying that much cause as soon as I get a press and a lathe I can make me one.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I dont think it would be as good as a single scroll of that size, but Im sure it would work.

Using the quick spool valve would be cool though, and I dont think theyre super expensive.
Just imagine olding that torque all the way out to redline with that big housing.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The last time I priced them they where between $400 and $500. To me they aint worth that. I would like to have one, but I know I can build it for 1/4 of that.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The last time I priced them they where between $400 and $500. To me they aint worth that. I would like to have one, but I know I can build it for 1/4 of that.
Built mine for free! I went with a little different design though.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/180439_150153865041913_100001419009786_315180_1271947_n.jpg
And then one of the original as well.
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/167829_150153245041975_100001419009786_315175_3269146_n.jpg
Crap. I hope the link works for everyone.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easy to test as well. Drive car with new gasket in, unbolt turbo, remove gasket, retest.

Give it a shot

Exactly what I was thinking.

On the big housing = big heavy turbine. Not necc true. The 9cm housing works with the stock turbine.

After alot of talking with diff people only thing I am goin to have to watch for seems like compressor surge and listen real close and make sure I am not over spinning it.

On that thought though even with my pushing higher rpm's than a diesel I prob am not moving half the volume of air. I dont have a ported and polished head. If you think about it the diesel this came from was a 5.9l inline 6. Blocking off one side of the turbo would be like only running 3 of the cylinders of the inline 6 through it. Granted I will be 1 cylinder more I will still be less displacement and less volume. With the volume of air that will be moving through the motor I dont think I will be over spooling the turbo. I might be wrong but we will soon find out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts