Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to have my L O N G term project on the road by the time spring sets in.
I've been lurking a bit trying to catch up with the current state of OBD0 and see lots of users I recognize from a long time ago...

I still have x2 D-powered cars in the fleet:
1: 1991 Civic Si with Endyn-built A6 & SC running on e85 with Zdyne.
Every spring for the past 15 years, this has been my go-to car from April until it snows.

2: 1986 CRX Si with a fresh build NA '89 D16A1. 11:1, ZC cams, eagle rods, rollerwaves, endyn head...it runs right now on a PG7, and has reliably moved the car around on sporadic occasion for the past 12 years. The CRX didn't mean to be a 15-year project/garage hog, but life/family/kid/career happened. I finally got it painted this fall and assembly is coming along about as well as could be expected.

With springtime around the corner, I need to catch myself up on all things ECU. Rather than share the Zdyne between cars, I'd like to learn how to use TurboEdit. I spent a bunch of time lately digging up what I could, but the prime resource seems to have gone lights out. So, I saw the PM6 related post below, and rather than jacking that thread, I figured I might as well re-introduce myself with my own.

What I have already:
A good socketed PR4 with a datalog header in it.
TurboEdit 3.2.2

What I do not have is a good grasp on the actual process of using TurboEdit to get a PM7 chip in the PR4. Everything I find that looks like it'll be the "for dummies" version ends up going into crazy-level detail or straying off topic before I really learn anything meaningful. I found The Beave's Google Doc, but all the links must point to PGMFI.org :/
I've gotten as far as opening a stock PM7 bin. I don't yet have a chip burner...looking at Xenocron packages with Ostrich etc...seems like the way to go.

I'd also like to be able to datalog. In what seems like a previous lifetime, I did download EcuControl 5.8.41
I doubt that's the latest version, so if anyone could point me in the right direction...or suggest something better?

Before this gets too long, thanks in advance for any help
pics for clicks (lots of pictures 1993 - current at https://goo.gl/photos/3utViN2doVxkDris7)

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I would seriously consider selling my left nut and right arm for that goat and rex.

Nice goddamn cars!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nice build. I have a obdo turboedit ecu fs if you need with two chips.

Post more info and pics on the 91 si.

Stratton.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Using tuning software really isnt easy enough to explain in a dummies version. The hard part is, if you dont understand what the write up says, you wont understand how to use the software.

Just get your hands dirty

·
Registered
stock sedan
1,460 Posts
color on crx is really badass

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Welcome....haha.

That CRX is an amazing specimen.

·
Registered
567 Posts
not usually a fan of first gens, but with the changes you've mad along with the color, it already looks amazing!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice car.
Nice colour.
Thanks, it's a 1990+ Honda color "pewter gray" NH-537M

damn newbies!!!!
I might have mentioned you name a time or two in the past few months :)
Haha I know, Bone! I took more than a few years off and forgot everything!

Nice build. I have a obdo turboedit ecu fs if you need with two chips.
Post more info and pics on the 91 si.
Stratton.
Thanks Stratton, I've had the '91 since 1998 when I bought it box-stock. I picked up the JRSC that same year. It had underwhelming performance to say the least. In '99 I became a Zdyne early adopter and met Bone. The Zdyne made a huge difference, but by 2000, many factors (mostly JR/Moss's lack of engineering effort on the proper-fueling front) convinced me to send the motor to Endyn to be rebuilt with pistons/rods/posted block/ported head & blower. I had also found an LSD ZC transmission which went in with the Si FD. The drive was better, but still suffered from the Roots Achilles - hot boost. In 2006, I started using E85. This again made a huge difference but the hot boost is still there. I have some Laminova cores I'm going to make a watercooled manifold one day...Aside from tweaking the ECU here & there I've done surprisingly little to the car as far as parts breakage / stuff wearing out. I think it's cost me 1 axle, an ignition switch base, and starter contacts since getting it back on the road in 2001.
Laundry list :
-Big cone K&N filter and PVC intake with rubber sewer pipe coupling to B throttle body
-Ported blower
-Endyn head
-Stock cam (planning to remedy over the winter)
-Rollerwave pistons/H beam rods
-Posted block / ported oil pump
-4-1 header
-3" thermal exhaust with a big resonater and better muffler (it could still be more quiet IMO to attract less attention).
-J&S safeguard (automatic ign. retard on knock if they still exist)
-Zdyne Gold & 450cc DSM's
-Walbro pump
-ZC LSD with 4.25 FD / ZC int shaft / DA axles
-15/16 MC
-EX sedan knuckles
-Wilwood DPHA calipers / 10.2" rotors
-DA rear disc
-Tokico illuminas/GC springs/sTbars
-all the usual chassis stiffeners
-JimFab front x-member
-JDM front end minus the bumper
-Wedsport SA-90 15x8's
-Cruise control retrofitted from an EX sedan
-probably other stuff I'm forgetting (oh yeah - avatar pic is my UK VT 150mph speedo when I hit 100k a few years ago)

Using tuning software really isnt easy enough to explain in a dummies version. The hard part is, if you dont understand what the write up says, you wont understand how to use the software.
Just get your hands dirty
Yeah I plan to...the writeup could use an edit or three for more on-topic content.
Welcome back
color on crx is really badass
Beautiful car!
Welcome....haha.
That CRX is an amazing specimen.
not usually a fan of first gens, but with the changes you've mad along with the color, it already looks amazing!
Thanks!
Wonders if TJ still has the raw dyno files from 1999 @ Dave's Honda Haven :)
ha ha ha! probably not, but I still have this picture I took going 146mph on the way back on the toll road between bowling green and london. The dash light is the cruise still active....

TunerExpress. Look it up and use it. TE is dead.

Contact me directly if you need more info.

Welcome back.
Will do Beave...I might have found another zdyne cheap though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts