Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Honda?
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just picked up a cylinder head today that I was informed was a D16A6 head.

However, from the castings on the head, I'm having trouble determining if this is an A6 head or not.

Here are the castings:
PM9-5 (8/9) ( /6) (2/7)

I checked online and found the following link:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/113040-head-identification.html

According to that, PM9-5 that would be a D15B1 or a D15B7. However, the D15B7 wasn't made till 1992 and the casting next to the the PM9-5 would indicate the head I have is an 89.

So did I just buy an D15B1 head that just so happened to have an MPFI manifold attached to it (I didn't buy the manifold, it was removed by the owner).

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
Honda?
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ pm6 would be the ecu for a A6, the head is a pm3. Someone probably did a dpfi to mpfi swap on it, which would explain the IM.
Yeah we looked into it and it's a B1 head that was put on an A6 block. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the junk yard and hope the A6 heads there are in ok shape.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Yeah we looked into it and it's a B1 head that was put on an A6 block. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the junk yard and hope the A6 heads there are in ok shape.
get an a6 cam and a6 springs and keep the head, unless its cheaper for you to get a whole head or dont have the tools to do what im talking about.

·
Registered
Honda?
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
get an a6 cam and a6 springs and keep the head, unless its cheaper for you to get a whole head or dont have the tools to do what im talking about.
Yeah I just bought it for the cam and springs. It had bent valves so I got it for cheap. I gotta stop by and give it back to get my cash back. I'm gonna hit up the local junk yard to see if they still have this wagon and Si hatch and just buy the cams and take the valve springs so I don't have to pay for the whole head ($75).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts