Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally swapped a tach cluster into my dx.

Most stuff works fine, my fuel gauge actually behaves (most common problem i read about).

However i noticed that my speedometer doesn't move until i'm going almost 15 mph or so. Is this due to my smaller wheels (cluster came from an lx i believe) or did i hose something during the swap? Alternately am i just paying to much attention to my handywork and does the needle not usually move much until about 15 or so?

2nd less important issue, my d4 light...yes it's an auto, (no my solution is not swapping :p) comes on intermittently. Sometimes it works, sometimes it comes on after a while. Sometimes its unlit. Changing the cluster didn't help it, where should i look next, wiring near the shifter or wiring near the cluster or something else entirely.

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
For the D4 light problem I would try swapping in a new auto light gauge. It's only two screws. It's the white plastic thing on the back left of the cluster that the green plug goes into. I don't think the DX will fit it but I can check today and let you know.

I can't help you with the speedo since mine doesn't work at all after I did my swap. I'm going to try to put the original speedo that it came with back in to see if that fixes it but then I'll have to roll back the mileage like 200,000 miles to match what my car is suposed to be at.

I took the cluster apart to paint the needles red and put in amber bulbs (I know ricey, but it's my project car that I named White Rice). All I did was swap the speedo and then it wouldn't work. I couldn't imagine it breaking by just swapping it so I even ended up putting on a motherboard from the back of another cluster and the speedo still didn't work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK, the DX auto light thingy won't fit on the lx/ex one with the tach. It's a little bigger and the screws don't match up.

I took out my tach and put the one that came with the cluster back in and it worked perfectly. Now I need to paint that needle and figure out how to roll back the milage.

The weirdest thing is that my original speedo worked when I put it back in the DX cluster. Not sure why it won't work in the lx/ex one. It did start doing what you said about the needle working only when you went over 10 mph. I'm guessing this is something that happens when your speedo is taking a dump. For now I'm keeping the front cover off in case I need to flick the needle or something until I roll back the other and put it in.

I heard you can roll back milage with a drill and just putting it to a certain gear but all the sites that had the easy way are now blocked. Does any one know how to do this without having to remove the needle and gears?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the D4 light problem I would try swapping in a new auto light gauge. It's only two screws. It's the white plastic thing on the back left of the cluster that the green plug goes into. I don't think the DX will fit it but I can check today and let you know.

I can't help you with the speedo since mine doesn't work at all after I did my swap. I'm going to try to put the original speedo that it came with back in to see if that fixes it but then I'll have to roll back the mileage like 200,000 miles to match what my car is suposed to be at.

I took the cluster apart to paint the needles red and put in amber bulbs (I know ricey, but it's my project car that I named White Rice). All I did was swap the speedo and then it wouldn't work. I couldn't imagine it breaking by just swapping it so I even ended up putting on a motherboard from the back of another cluster and the speedo still didn't work.
working on the speedo, the bizarre thing is the d4 comes on randomly while i drive, i'm thinking it's somewhere in my wiring.

have a few extra speedo gauges to mess with from some extra dx clusters, gonna see what happens.

and meh on your mods, i have white gauges in there right now so i made the needles red. I can't really talk about anything ricey, just avoid wings as tall as you are ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts