Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
CRX!!
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo i just bought a pair of dohc zc cams with the stampings. "japan" and "hks" on them, for $100. Anybody know the value on them? And how much i would possibly pick up on power gains? Im running a zc on 10 pounds with a garrett super 60.

I know a little history on them, not much.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
THE CRX
977 Posts
in for news on the cams...

·
Registered
431 Posts
No, but you will make more power with adjustables, usually to tighten up the LSA a bit by retarding the exhaust cam.
there are SOO many variables when determining adjustable cam settings on a FI motor that we don't have time nor the the patience to completely discuss all the in and outs of each setup, my best advice to you is to use a dyno and adjust in small increments, usually advancing, and never advancing the intake more than 4*. you will notice a difference in how the power comes in and where it comes in.
1. The tighter the LSA the more your engine will scavange at the top end, and you will see better top end results at the cost of some spool and torque down low.
2. The wider the LSA the higher your exhaust pressures will be before the turbo, so you will spool quicker, but the top end scavanging will not be as good,
sooo you need to tailor your cam gears to the power band you desire, and its usually the LAST thing your tuner will do. dialing in your AFR's and timing will be infinitely more crutial. in other words get a good tune or adjustable cams are nothing but heavier rotating masses....

·
Registered
THE CRX
977 Posts
LOL how many sites are u on beaver?

just ran into the crx forum and see ur name there too,

so lobe separation and intake valve closing angle and exhaust valve...how do you know they are correct, is there a set amount of parameters, and u just work until you find your own setting? or r there correct numbers depending on the build?

im asking cause i would assume that you would have them sit at the correct angle from installation, as opposed to fixing them again and again.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Not as many as Bone.

The IVCA generally determines where peak power is made, sooner lowering the peak and later raising the peak (in terms of RPM, not how much or little power is made).

Correct is determined by where you wish to make power.

A DOHC and cam gears make things pretty easy, heh

·
Registered
THE CRX
977 Posts
gotcha.

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
CRX!!
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a little update. Been super busy. Cams work great!!!! Had problems getting it to idle. It likes to idle around 12-10 vac. Cams have same lift, but duration is higher.

Didn't have a good source of vac/ boost line to wastegate from the get go apparently... Cut at 10 pounds no problem with stock cams, the hks cams peaked me at 13-14. Re routed some boost lines and got it back to 10.

The power band comes in at around 4,500-5,500, tends to gradually fall after that. 2nd gear with dx tranny blows the tires off at this point without a gear change.

Still need to tweak with the tune a bit. Afr's are dialed in during boost, I retarded the timing .50 degrees as opposed to stock cams via crome, and seemed to yield better results.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts