1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have agx struts
tien s tech springs

93 civic dx

im hitting the shock tower area, the a arm has started to dent and chip paint away

i thought i was bottoming out on my cut bump stops, but i guess not

i need help in what to do, i don't want to do the strut/fork trick?

Can someone help?
Thank you

Also
what about H tech springs are they a better rate, or should i get coils?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
229 Posts
You have three options:

1) Install longer bumpstops
2) Install stiffer springs
3) Raise your car

Dropping the shock in the fork is not going to help. In fact, it will make the problem worse. My guess is your bumpstops have probably failed completely and fallen off or you cut them way too short. How much is your car lowered? My STS car is lowered roughly 3" and with 850lb springs, shortened Koni's, and trimmed bumpstops I'll hit the control arm against the tower on even minor pot holes. Really, at 3" lower then stock, you only have about an inch of suspension travel before the control arm hits the tower. You have to be really careful when lowering these things.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about extended top hats?

i will check about my bumpstops

Im thinking about Ksports

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
do you happen to have a camber kit in the front of the car? my accord was doing something very similar after I installed a camber kit. I am dropped further than you in my hatch and I am not having this issue, also I do not have a camber kit.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No camber kit yet, ordered a skunk 2 one

I really need help, have no idea

'

This is where it is...

The red is where the paint is starting to chip ect, and its pushed up a little

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not too sure,
I haven't took them out of the spring to check, i have pushed down by my hand after getting a good rhythm going it seems to bounce a little
But im only 110 pushing down on the front

I'm wondering if im not running bump stops if that is doing it?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
are the bumpstops on the shocks?

Exactly my point, but i don't think this should hit the top so easy,
When i lower my car and let it down the control arms seem to rise up pretty darn far, ill take a picture of how high they are when the cars sitting still and check for bump stops tomorrow

·
Registered
94 Civic Sedan
240 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I just deal with it. /sigh

I am thinking about getting the tophats so the shocks are in a better position in their travel, so they are more useful, instead of being at the limit of their range, causing the dampening to be significantly less than what it should be.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
raised top hats aren't going to help. you need longer bump stops, raise the car, or simply cut out the area. If you can find a aftermarket a-arm or ball joint that has a lower profile than stock, that might help a little.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just ordered the rhino camber kit

im going to check the suspension out better tomorrow,

yeah im going to deff upgrade my bumpstops,

if i put bigger ones in i know ill bottom out easier on my shock, but will this prevent the bottoming out on the upper shock tower?

also whats it sound like when you bottom out on bump stops?
i hear a loud drmmp drmmp when i hit my frame and can kind of tell its not good in the sense i feel

Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Skunk2 camber kit is going to make the problem worse, and for your ride height it is entirely unnecessary. Extended top hats won't do any good either. You aren't limited by your shocks right now, you're limited by the control arm hitting the tower. Doube check your bumpstops.

BTW, this isn't something you just want to ignore. Hitting the uca against the tower shocks the chassis of the car with some insanely high loads. That will greatly increase the rate the ball joints/bushings wear at and will eventually fatigue the chassis to the point of failure. I've seen the strut tower seperate from the unit body before. That is a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
What about extended top hats?
thats what I was going to suggest. Lowered civics have only a couple inches of suspension travel. If you know how to weld and have the equipment, this is a great, cheap mod and would help out with "bottoming out".

·
Registered
229 Posts
thats what I was going to suggest. Lowered civics have only a couple inches of suspension travel. If you know how to weld and have the equipment, this is a great, cheap mod and would help out with "bottoming out".
Except it won't help in this situation. Think about it. The shock isn't bottoming out first, the uca is. Increasing shock travel is going to do nothing to alleviate the current problem.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Extended top hats won't do any good either. You aren't limited by your shocks right now, you're limited by the control arm hitting the tower. Doube check your bumpstops.
agree, the movement of the hat's position is not going to help the situation if it is not dramatically moved to increase the ride height and suspension travel

it seems to me that the shock is bad and you are not running enough of a shock bump stop to stop the suspension from fully compressing. allowing the suspension to fully compress. iirc about an 1/8 in. from full suspension compression will cause the UCA to hit the upper fender well / shock mounting location (on an ek, anyway).

Doube check your bumpstops.
FTW

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Update...

Im running bump stops (half of one)
Got pictures and video up

Hitting the shock tower, New pic

Strut pictures including the bumpstop

Camera stand

Video (110 person standing on shock tower and giving a bounce)

^^^^^my car sits lower than this, its that i just had the car up and didn't drive the car to let the springs and such adjust, when ever i raise it and let it down it sits like 1 to 2 inches higher

Looks to be my strut is a little leaky and only the spring is doing the job?
You guys be the true judge,

Thank you

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.