Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So ive been running some kyb ecel g's on a set of h&r oe sport springs for about a year now and i recently aquired a set of megan lowering springs and a set of megan coilover sleeves for $50 all new so i figured ill keep one set and sell one.
The springs and sleeves are both linear set ups with the springs being 280lb fronts and 230lb rears and the sleeves being 450lb front and 350lb rears.
Now i dont want to lower the car alot at all, i just want them for the linearity and higher rates so my car will launch and corner a little better. Im just wondering if the kybs can handle the sleeves rates without being too bouncy if their not lowered much? Im pretty sure the kybs can handle the springs rates as their close-ish to my h&r rates but if im wrong let me know.
The car is a 93 hatch.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Yes they can. If you stay around the 1-1.5in mark you are fine, the ride will be rougher though, coil sleeves are that way.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
That's a big increase in rates relative to the shocks. Even regular koni's are only rated at 500lbs.

If it's "bouncy" the shocks won't last long at all really.

I think you are kinda pushing them at the very least.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would they blow the shocks even at like a 3/4 or 1 inch lowering you think? Id like to throw on the sleeves if i can get away with it..
But if not Do you think the springs would work with the shocks if the sleeves dont? Kyb says the shocks can handle 1.5 inch drop and the springs have 1.75 drop. Only 1/4 of an inch so i figure their fine right?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
What the issue is, in my mind, you have a lot of spring rate on a weak shock, on one end of the tube meaning not a lot of room or flow for the baffles to adequately cushion you and the opposing force wont help either. You will wear them out sooner. I was just saying if you don't drop it very far and keep the shock baffles in or as close to the middle of the stroke, you will get more life out of them. There long answer.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
They are right though, you wont get the whole life from them, I wasn't commenting on that sorry.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
http://www.d-series.org/forums/suspension-corner/154444-highest-recommended-spring-rates-kyb-agxs.html

The drop won't help, I think the dampers aren't made to handle the higher spring rates. The above link is with the AGX in mind and yours are a "lower" model than that.

I bet same springs and stiffer dampers will also help your cornering out. If you want to go backwards. Springs really help in the transition, but not so much after the car is more settled (mid corner).

Example: with 12k in the rear the understeer still comes on when the "transitioning" stops... But that was only found when I was finally able to really push my car at autox events and such. Normal "canyon driving" it never showed up.

And on the flip side. Blown dampers = scrap on everything no matter what really...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it's a no go on the sleeves then.
How do you guys feel about the springs with 1.75 drop all around and 280f/230rear rates could I get away with running those on my kybs?

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
gr2s are oe replacements, not performance shocks... stick with the oe sport springs or be ready to buy new shocks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts