Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious because i'd like to reap ~14:1 or higher in my DD and 94 is available in my area :) does anyone happen to know?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
you'll need race fuel for 14:1

i run 12.5:1 on 93

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
or a head fixed up with some welding, or meth/water jection. few things u can do.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
14:1 is possible on pump IIRC. Bisi ran a little higher on pump and it's been suggested by a couple of the guys at OCO that 13-14 is possible. That is also with head work and non high-dome piston I believe.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
IF it can be done, why would you want to run so close to the edge?

m.
cause it's always about pushing the limites m. you know that.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
shit JD is runnin 12 something to 1 on 87

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
hes makin 140 some HP on a stock head at that too and pulling crazy MPG's. Its all in the tune

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
yeah, but 87 is too shitty of a gas to use with any car with that comp. rating imo

honda recommends prem. fuel in all there higher comp motors.

but i guess if the tune is very very conservative you can get away with most det.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
yeah, but 87 is too shitty of a gas to use with any car with that comp. rating imo

but i guess if the tune is very very conservative you can get away with most det.
thats because most of them have a high dome pistons like p29's, which suck as far as tuning it and det. on anything other than the factory tune. hes got PDN GX's which have high compression and a small dome, this allows for better flame travel and it greatly reduces det. because of the larger quench are of the piston

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
thats because most of them have a high dome pistons like p29's, which suck as far as tuning it and det. on anything other than the factory tune. hes got PDN GX's which have high compression and a small dome, this allows for better flame travel and it greatly reduces det. because of the larger quench are of the piston
maybe why I haven't been working on the D15Baby8 :)

I need to take .080" off the domes :)

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
It has been suggest to me through my research and by talking with people "in the know" on this very subject that 13-14:1 SCR is entirely possible on pump gas. The keys to a build of this type are to get as much quench as possible, and to have the quench area to be less than .040" deep (including the headgasket thickness!), keep the dome of the piston used LOW as to not split the chamber (like the P29s do!), and run a big, fat, nasty cam (to help lower the dynamic compression at lower RPMs where detonation is more likely to happen).

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

JD is a tuner, he has tuned a ton of 600+hp hondas I think he might know what he is doing.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
It has been suggest to me through my research and by talking with people "in the know" on this very subject that 13-14:1 SCR is entirely possible on pump gas. The keys to a build of this type are to get as much quench as possible, and to have the quench area to be less than .040" deep (including the headgasket thickness!), keep the dome of the piston used LOW as to not split the chamber (like the P29s do!), and run a big, fat, nasty cam (to help lower the dynamic compression at lower RPMs where detonation is more likely to happen).
this is exactly what im shooting for on my next build, my father tells me that i need to lower my compression since im getting detonation and is probibally what is chewing up my rings. Call me crazy but im shooting for 13:1 if not higher compression next time on premium gas. Setup will be:

endyne roller wave pistons with low tension high ductility rings
z6 head milled until the quench pads are zero decked (or buy a y8 head)
h-beam rods or i-beam's from FJT (whatever is lighter)
lightening the rotating assembly for higher rpm usage
low weight flywheel
massaged head and ported head (by me)
fat ass custom cam from bisi with springs.
Ostrich with neptune RTP (no more burning chip bullshit)
Aem wideband
EGT gauge

What im shooting for with the pistons to head clearance will be about .30 thous wich is just enough for the 10-11 rpm range. since the rod stretches about .13 thous ive still got alot of reading to do.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
What's good about ductile rings? I've never heard of people really advertising that; only ductile iron sleeves(which pretty much just means it's not brittle).

Also, you don't need Ostrich with RTP(the RTP unit is pretty much the same thing as Ostrich).

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
this is exactly what im shooting for on my next build, my father tells me that i need to lower my compression since im getting detonation and is probibally what is chewing up my rings. Call me crazy but im shooting for 13:1 if not higher compression next time on premium gas. Setup will be:

endyne roller wave pistons with low tension high ductility rings
z6 head milled until the quench pads are zero decked (or buy a y8 head)
h-beam rods or i-beam's from FJT (whatever is lighter)
lightening the rotating assembly for higher rpm usage
low weight flywheel
massaged head and ported head (by me)
fat ass custom cam from bisi with springs.
Ostrich with neptune RTP (no more burning chip bullshit)
Aem wideband
EGT gauge

What im shooting for with the pistons to head clearance will be about .30 thous wich is just enough for the 10-11 rpm range. since the rod stretches about .13 thous ive still got alot of reading to do.
The FJT I-beams are very heavy, I have a set in my vitara D-16. I think your best choice for rods would be stock re-sized after some ARP rob bolts.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I don't know if Probe does custom rods but their "Ultralite" I-beam rods seem pretty cheap compared to Crower and others(around $300 IIRC).

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
maybe why I haven't been working on the D15Baby8 :)

I need to take .080" off the domes :)
ha i guess that will allow the plugs to fit than?
what about the PM3 pistons with clearanced valve reliefs? On a y8 head, i think that would make a killer setup with the tall compression height and the very minimal dish to where they are almsot flat top?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts