Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
coupe
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having an issue with my coolant system..when normal driving temp. gauge stays fine and no problems when i do any pulls in high boost i get temp. rising coolant goes to overflow then sprays out of the overflow all in my ebay then after a few minutes the temp lowers. then i shut the car off open the rad. cap and theres pressure that get released and i dump the coolant from my overflow back into the rad. i just changed the thermostat to a 180degree.
then i retorqued my arp headstuds to 65ft-lbs. im hopings its just a blown head gasket. i bought the motor off a member on here so all the specs i know are is this.

the setup only has about 500 miles on it. so he says??
vitra std pistons
eagle rods
king bearings
new rebuilt head

so i never cracked the motor open..when i got the motor i dropped it into my coupe with the edelbrock kit some dsm450s and eCtune snd threw 23psi on that little gt28r or w.e that thing is?

so my ? is what head gasket do you recommend any specific thickness.?? i really want to just try to replace the head gasket and not take the head off the IM to get it milled...the guy stated it was a rebuilt head..

thanks dfam

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
People are recommending the oem honda mls head gasket for the best quality. You can try an ebay hg like domestic gaskets should have better quality than jis for boosting

I noticed evergreen head gaskets have a wider diameter bore but they stopped selling them this year. IDK most ebay hg's are made in Taiwan. I don't even see domestic gaskets on there this time or erristic. I see car parts whole sale and discount car parts.
I thought there was am oem Honda guy here on dso selling parts.

The MLS compress to .027"

·
Registered
coupe
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
BUMP!!

any other suggestions other than it being a bad head gasket?
also im not sure about the water pump? cant seem to get ahold of the member on here....

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
It's headlift, if you are saying it is only blowing coolant when under boost. Pull the head, ensure the head is flat, and install new OEM Y8 HG or FelPro HG. Perhaps new head studs are in order too.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
replace your head gasket with one made in japan and check for flatness while you are doing it.

then go get retuned.

its a combination of mild detonation and a bad quality head gasket.

·
Registered
coupe
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's headlift, if you are saying it is only blowing coolant when under boost. Pull the head, ensure the head is flat, and install new OEM Y8 HG or FelPro HG. Perhaps new head studs are in order too.
what would have caused the head to lift?? maybe not torquen down the headstuds on a fresh break in only said only 500 miles on the motor when i bought it..here are some of what the motor looked like before i dropped it into my car.. ignore the pic dates there wrong..not sure what head gasket brand that is in pic#3 and it has arps in it now and was hopin to reuse since low mileage..ive maybe only putten 1000 miles since finished and tuned

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
coupe
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
replace your head gasket with one made in japan and check for flatness while you are doing it.

then go get retuned.

its a combination of mild detonation and a bad quality head gasket.
a head gasket from japan lol

big3racing installed my motor and tuned my car they gave it back it ran fine 15 minutes after i left his shop and hit highboost i stared to over heat??

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
Where do you get these head gaskets from Japan? After being beaten up enough times on head gaskets with a bad tune like Nosaj, I'm willing to look into it. I have the one in his pic right now and it was better than the one in my pic.
TING, what if they didn't tune the cold section of your tune well enough and it was detonating if your engine was a little cold right after leaving they're shop if they didn't pull enough timing in the cold compensation or add enough fuel? Could they have ever let it go leaner than 13.5 afr's in boost without letting up soon enough during the tune and minorly blown it that way?

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
what kind of headgasket do you have??

that jis engine gaskets are complete junk... they are cheap, and will always fail.

get a felpro gasket.. they have never let me down

·
Registered
1994 Jeep
270 Posts
Im with this guy definately headlift.

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
I was having the same problem bro and i traced it back to either a bad tstat, rad cap, or rad hoses... I changed all 3 at the same time but it fixed my problem...
If you want to come grab up a rad cap from me to see if it helps any your more than welcome to.

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
Y motor = too much timing causing head lift (replace the head gasket and retune)

any other motor = probably just the fact that it has an evergreen head gasket, could be improperly torqued head studs. either way replace the gasket with an OEM y8 gasket.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Y8 motor = too much timing causing head lift (replace the head gasket and retune)

any other motor = probably just the fact that it has an evergreen head gasket, could be improperly torqued head studs. either way replace the gasket with an OEM y8 gasket.
Fixt.

·
Registered
coupe
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where do you get these head gaskets from Japan? After being beaten up enough times on head gaskets with a bad tune like Nosaj, I'm willing to look into it. I have the one in his pic right now and it was better than the one in my pic.
TING, what if they didn't tune the cold section of your tune well enough and it was detonating if your engine was a little cold right after leaving they're shop if they didn't pull enough timing in the cold compensation or add enough fuel? Could they have ever let it go leaner than 13.5 afr's in boost without letting up soon enough during the tune and minorly blown it that way?
tune was done in during the summer of 2010 and im driving in cold temps without afr gauge which is so dumb

what kind of headgasket do you have??

that jis engine gaskets are complete junk... they are cheap, and will always fail.

get a felpro gasket.. they have never let me down
yes it was a cheap evergreen gasket but was head lift involved?

I was having the same problem bro and i traced it back to either a bad tstat, rad cap, or rad hoses... I changed all 3 at the same time but it fixed my problem...
If you want to come grab up a rad cap from me to see if it helps any your more than welcome to.
im going to come use that cap to test but dude big3 put that new rad. on it so i cant even imagine it has to be head lift man..i shouldnt be having these problems comming right outa this shops doors..

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
i wouldnt think it would be the arp's fault... if they were torqued correctly, and to spec, i would lean more towards a bad headgasket, and or the posibility of the surfaces not being flat....

·
Registered
coupe
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If its headlift which it is sounding like it is... they didnt build the motor right? you bought it already assembled if i remember correctly. Id pick up some new arps and a hg...
no they didnt build the motor.. i dont want to throw on a headgasket and then have it repeat

i wouldnt think it would be the arp's fault... if they were torqued correctly, and to spec, i would lean more towards a bad headgasket, and or the posibility of the surfaces not being flat....
im going to tear into it im going to order a felpro from somewhere does like napa carry them?lol
i might just throw the head back on and see what happens

1 - 20 of 36 Posts