Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
00 Civic Coupe
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been talked about before, but i didnt find anything about it, so here it goes. Does anyone make a good high volume oil pump for the D16Y8? I've read about modifying the OEM pump from Endyne, but I thought maybe someone might make an off the shelf pump. Any info would be very helpful.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I may be way off base, but i think modding it will be your best option. Unless you've got alot of cash to shell out for one...then again, i could be completely wrong...

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
either mod it if you have DIY ability, or get a toga.
thats pretty much the only choices out there that i can think of

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
how do u mod one??? I have a brand new OEM fomr honda that im using for my rebuild, but I dont wanna toss it in stock.... is there a DIY on how to mod that thing?

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
my obd2 oil-pump has been ported, the relief valve has been shimmed for more pressure, and the oil baffles has been drilled in order to drain better under hard excelleration. larry "the old one" from energy dynamics also reccomends drilling out the bearrings to match the ports in the block and girdle. so far i haven had any spun bearings. oil pressure looks good as well.

·
Registered
983 Posts
So you drilled out the bearings? I was wondering how this was done... do you have to drill it on a certain side to prevent messing up the bearing surface?

Hmmm maybe I'll mod my new one after I practice on an old one! What did they use to fill it? JBWeld?

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
heres a pic of the bearring mod from their wesite.

quoted from "the old one"
I catch a lot of flack about the size I open the oil holes in the bearings out to. Those who don't care for the practice, have never apparently experienced oiling problems, or they've never made enough power to be concerned. We open the oil holes in the bearings, after fitting the bearings to the block/crank with micrometers / dial-bore gauges and finally Plasti-Gage.) The holes are in perfect alignment with the feed holes in the main caps...and oddly enough, they're darned near the same diameter as the oil holes in the crankshaft. Who'd have thought? Also of note, we grind the edges of the girdle to remove any radius. That might sound strange, but sharp edges will "shave" oil off the rotating crankshaft and rod assembly with considerable efficiency and that's very desirable for a performance engine. It's also free, if you have a little time to spend.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
yea im down with a moded oil pump FTW. as ne one heard of it done on obd1 oil pumps or is it just on of those things that can be down but dosnt have to.

RC
the obd1 oilpumps doesnt have the issues that the obd2 oilpumps have.
i know a local guy who has an almost identicle settup as i do.
y7 block, z6 head, built bottom end. but hes using an obd1 oilpump which works just fine until he has to check the oil. no dip stick.
obd2 blocks dont have a dipstick port like the obd1. the dipstick on the obd2 is on the oilpump. which is why its a pain not to use the obd2 pump. anyways he is about to do the mod and switch over to the obd2 so he can actually check his oil.

·
No Tune No Life!
99 Supercharge Regal
2,045 Posts
the obd1 oilpumps doesnt have the issues that the obd2 oilpumps have.
i know a local guy who has an almost identicle settup as i do.
y7 block, z6 head, built bottom end. but hes using an obd1 oilpump which works just fine until he has to check the oil. no dip stick.
obd2 blocks dont have a dipstick port like the obd1. the dipstick on the obd2 is on the oilpump. which is why its a pain not to use the obd2 pump. anyways he is about to do the mod and switch over to the obd2 so he can actually check his oil.
OH SNAP no dip stick thats a little gay but shit if it works right?
thats cool i was just wonder i think i might do it ne ways i have no life so fuck it it wont hurt!

RC

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
make sure that you get an oil pressure guage to keep monitor over your stats. thats all i run is boost and oil pressure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts