Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a high output water pump...

Does anybody make a higher flowing stock replacement for a d16?

I know some people have also used electric pumps, but I havent been able to find anything for a d16 so far...

Anybody care to direct me to the right place?
Thanks,

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
...Or along the same lines is there anything that can be done to the stock one that would increase through-put?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yeah thats what I was thinking....

·
Potato salad!
93 Civic HB DX
298 Posts
I'm looking for a high output water pump...
What is the goal? If it's for greater cooling I'd suggest just getting a larger capacity radiator. I dropped in an aluminum one with about 4x the capacity of stock for my supercharger. They can be had for as little as $100 and it's MUCH easier install than dealing with water pump replacement. Having natural air do the cooling is more reliable than moving parts. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
yea, why would you need a high output water pump? there are other things you can do to keep your car running cool such as diff radiator, thermostat, coolant additives etc

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I will be running 30psi and I want to keep it as cool as possible...

I want to upgrade the entire system as a whole because it would make me feel a little bit safer...

I am upgrading the radiator indefinately, but I want to circulate as much water as possible...

Edit:

Also, I am uncomfortable with addatives like "water wetter" because they become corrosive over time...

·
Registered
Mostly the 91 CRX
1,329 Posts
30psi out of a D16... I would assume a drag car?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
most of the time a street car, I will be running 18-20psi 80% of the time. But on track days it will be a different story, and I will be spending as much time at the track as I possibly can...

I know that a drag race will not take long enough to heat the engine beyond it's limits, but two or three races in too short a time may cause a problem...

The point is... Simply, I want to upgrade the whole system because it will make me feel better. I am spending a lot of money building this engine, and I don't want to spare this expense...

·
Registered
435 Posts
right........... anywayz the OEM Honda water pump is more than adequate for whatever boost your tryin to push add a nice radiator and maybe a cooler thermostat to kick the fan on sooner if you have problems but come on man its a honda they dont run hot !

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
you'll be fine with a bigger radiator and a cooler thermostat. why would the engine run hot if its not burning any hotter. Bisi has an electric pump on his f22, but i think thats for more horsepower, plus i have no idea where you would find a shorter timing belt.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
You DO NOT want higher flow, the water needs time to accept heat tranfer from metal engine parts. This is why removing the thermostat is a bad idea!!!!!!!

Fact: 25-30% of engine cooling is done by the engine oil, invest in a good engine cooler and a dual row radiator and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
you'll be fine with a bigger radiator and a cooler thermostat. plus if your tuner does a good job your EGTs shouldnt go up that much. why would the engine run hot if its not burning any hotter. Bisi has an electric pump on his f22, but i think thats for more horsepower, plus i have no idea where you would find a shorter timing belt.
do you know what adequate egt's are for a turbo engine?

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
sorry, i dont have any idea what i was blabbing about earlier. EDITED.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You DO NOT want higher flow, the water needs time to accept heat tranfer from metal engine parts. This is why removing the thermostat is a bad idea!!!!!!!

Fact: 25-30% of engine cooling is done by the engine oil, invest in a good engine cooler and a dual row radiator and you'll be fine.

Ok, I trust tranzex to lead me in the right direction. I will keep the stock water pump and go with a nice aluminum radiator and high quality oil cooler. I will also port my stock y8 oil pump..

Thanks

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
What part of VAB you in? I haven't been there for 15 years, REALLY wanna go back :)

Friday night traffic, headed towards the beach on VABlvd (toll road was being worked on!) and light turn red yet NO ONE SLOWED DOWN!!!!!

My exwifes uncle lived near Lynnhaven Mall and Mt Trashmore.

I might be a little off, memory fades, but not the good times in VAB!!!!

Goivannais Pizza on Atlantic, BEST EVER pizza I've had!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
yes indeed tranzex is the man to listen to...its true having too high of a flow water pump will dissapate the heat too fast or will actually not move any water, a reverse effect from the shafts spinning too fast and just causing water to swirl around the pump, and or will cause ur car to not run at the optimal temp. my brother EVOSOL, has ran consistant 25psi on his vitara setup with all stock cooling system with no problems! :TU: i guess single cams arnt that bad after all:TU: lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts