Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of getting a high flow cat or resonator, what is everyone running?
best high flow cat?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would just get an ebay resonator, its cheap and it will work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
dont go with the big red one readily available at wal-mart then. I can't be sure simply because I have always gone with pre-made exhaust systems from reputable manufacturers, but I would just go with an Ebay cat since it sounds like ur going with the budget route. have u tried using the search button and possible searching for sound clips? that might help lemme know

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
ebay! it's like $56 shipped or something for a magnaflow hi-flow cat.
best bang for your buck! don't bother wasting your money on those other pieces of crap...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went with a test pipe from the shop I go to and it was only 50 bucks, and I think it sounds good with my megan racing exhaust.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
i hated my test pipe. my car was way too loud. we are about to install a DNX universal high flow cat on Slow98Ex's car. ill post up how it sounds

·
Registered
149 Posts
I got one of those hi-flow "cats" off ebay.. its just a shiny resonator pipe. It made my exhaust sound like complete ass, raspy/buzzy. Very rice-burner. Ugh. The stock cat made it sound good but that was a definite restriction in the exhaust, so I'm looking to get an actual catalytic. So stay away from those, IMO. It would be nice if there was a direct drop-in replacement cat 2.5"... but I've never seen those.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I got a Jackson Racing hi-flow cat (its got honeycombs in it, so supposedly its a real cat) for $90 way back when they were on clearance. Might as well have gotten a test pipe. The thing has a whistle to it, smells like remington ammunition behind the car, and doesn't muffle sound very much. On a Flowmaster with resonator, sounded like a fart can; without resonator, a really loud 2g eclipse;
with resonator and a Dynomax Ultra-Flo, a piped Polaris Sport 400. My next try to fix sound will be a twinloop, we'll see how that goes.

Only real benefit is that it's never thrown a CEL. Then again, I've never got a CEL before.

I'd go OEM in a heartbeat if it wasn't almost $600 after tax. (At least I don't have a '99-'00 EX, those cats are near $1100.) At least a cat from any EX model from '92-'00 (aka z6,y8 manifold/header and midpipe) should be the same size, if you're in a pinch. My JR cat is for a z6, but all it needed was an extension for the o2 wiring to work on the y8.

The ecu for a '99-'00 will most likely throw a CEL if you do that tho (blasted LEV certification...). A friend of mine gets the CEL for some kind of exhaust emissions every once in a while on its stock cat, and the only thing aftermarket on the exhaust is the Flowmaster on the back.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
I got one of those hi-flow "cats" off ebay.. its just a shiny resonator pipe. It made my exhaust sound like complete ass, raspy/buzzy. Very rice-burner. Ugh. The stock cat made it sound good but that was a definite restriction in the exhaust, so I'm looking to get an actual catalytic. So stay away from those, IMO. It would be nice if there was a direct drop-in replacement cat 2.5"... but I've never seen those.
the DNX is 2.5" all it needs is the flanges and a few inches of piping to be direct bolt in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would suggest just running no cat and no res. I took both of mine out and went from getting 35 mpg on the highway to getting 42 mpg. In the long run getting them taken out will save you money (imo). What i did was bought a header, put it on then went to the muffler shop, got them to cut out the resonator and the cat and was done. Although if your looking for a deep sound i wouldnt recomend it.. Im running a stock muffler on it without those and it sounds almost like a rally car with the higher pitched noise, but it only starts to get really loud around 3000-3700 RPM then it quiets down a bit and then gets really really loud around 5500-7500 RPM. Sounds cool in my mind.. your choice tho

Neez

·
Registered
725 Posts

+

+

= high flow cat

·
Registered
149 Posts
the DNX is 2.5" all it needs is the flanges and a few inches of piping to be direct bolt in.
DNX?

I was thinking of going to the local muffler shop and getting one made up but when they did the exhaust on my Probe, they welded EVERYTHING as one piece. Yes, the downpipe, cat, piping, and muffler are all welded. Assholes. Probably don't even have flanges... :p

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
im goin with dibble on this one. you cant get any more flow. thats one of the first thing i do to a car when i get it. gut that thing out

·
Registered
41 Posts
To voice my 2 cents, I read in a tuner mag, they tested four kinds of cats on a EK with intake, headers and exhaust. They dyno'ed the stock one then a ceramic core (gain of 3 whp), matallic core ( gain of 4 whp), and a test pipe (gain of 5 whp). They did not say what brands but the point of the article was is one wheel horsepower worth the legality of you'r vehicle. Also the stock cat is the cleanest for the emission concious people

1 - 20 of 42 Posts