Honda D Series Forum banner

High Compression Vitara race engine

107K views 855 replies 84 participants last post by  Full_Tilt 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I decided to switch classes this year and do a turbo build. I'm hoping for 225 whp and a lot of torque down low. If I make much more than that, I'll have to dial it back a bit. There is a such thing as too much power for what I'm doing. My compression should be 10.9:1. I wanted to use E85 as fuel but the race season will be here in 5 weeks and I'll be lucky to have this together/tuned in time on pump gas.

D16a6 block
75.5 vitara pistons
Fjt custom length rods
Y8 head milled to 22cc combustion chamber
Y8 cam
Y8 intake manifold
Rc 750 injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
2" inter cooler / piping
3" exhaust
Gt1752 turbo / Hf manfold

Here's some progress pics

Vitara piston out of the hole .005
Still some clay on it from checking the valve clearance. Plenty of room for a bigger cam later.

Inter cooler and piping mock up on the old race engine

New Clutch

See less See more
#6 ·
Im for the rest of the build. I've been mulling over doing a high comp vitara build. Hope yours goes well. :bigok:

#15 · (Edited)
If I'm spinning 275s with the MFactory metal plate lsd, I'm making to much power and I'll dial it back until I don't spin them.

So where are the high compression pistons?

I only see some puny Vitaras!
High comprerssion head with a 22cc chamber ftw! I don't see the point in using a ratio lower than 9.5:1 for a turbo engine but, almost 11:1 is high enough for me. I've never tuned a turbo engine before. So, I figured I might as well go for broke and see if I can tune this one. I hope I don't blow it up.

#19 ·
this sounds like fun :yes:
subscribed for results :D

#22 ·
i'm in for results on this one, since the pistons stick out of the deck, how much did you mill the block?

i would LOVE to have a high comp turbo motor...might be on the agenda next :yes:

since you said you have never tuned anything before i wish you good ass luck my friend!

#23 ·
i dont know how much of the beans im allowed to spill so ill just spill a couple, the block was milled .007 to get it straight which put the vitara's .005 above the deck. and as far the head i wont say how much its milled ill leave that to 90civichillclimber, but i will say it looks crazy with the tiny chambers, i have the head in the back seat of my truck right now id take a couple pics but i dont have a camara

#25 · (Edited)
I didn't take any pics of the claying. I never think of snapping pics while I'm working. On the stock y8 cam the exhaust valves didn't even touch the clay. The intake valves on the vtec lobe hit the clay but it was so thick we didn't even bother to measure it. The valve mark in the clay was right in line with the relief. I always clay my engines with a thinner head gasket than I'm using for a built in safety margin.

#31 ·
With a head gasket but thinner than the one I'm going to use. I can't clay this engine without a head gasket because the pistons would hit the head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.