Honda D Series Forum banner

241 - 259 of 259 Posts

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Its funny you ask, I have just about everything to rebuild it but im going to go a different route with it.

F23 block shaved .020
k20a2 pistons
k20a3 rods
k20a2 intake manifold
H22 head with new hiprofile oil block off goodies
H22 euro R cams
this is why I love Hondas.

parts from four completely different engine series (because I'm sure this is going to be a plateless F2B) shoehorned into a chassis that originally came with none of them in the states. :bigok:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Curious why you are using K20A3 rods, are they better in some way over the F23 rods? I just used the stock F23 rods with K20 pistons.
If I were building a high comp motor I would have used the f23 rods and not shaved the block. k20 rods sit in the whole .020

Looking at both rods, they look beefie. IF i were to use the f23 rods now the pistons would stick out the whole .020, h22 hg is close to .030 thick so I believe I could get away with it.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
this is why I love Hondas.

parts from four completely different engine series (because I'm sure this is going to be a plateless F2B) shoehorned into a chassis that originally came with none of them in the states. :bigok:
The k20 IM should give me plenty of clearance on the firewall side:bigok::bigok::bigok:

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
I have been waiting for this for months. Success

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Actually 5 engines, if you count the mounts.
I have been waiting for this for months. Success
Would not have been possible with out Hiprofile! I have to say I really dont see a issue with these motor making 400hp with just head bolts and open the ring gap.

Rod bolts are 3x bigger then D-series arp bolts, ring lands are WAY thicker then vitaras, rods are beefie, head ports are huge. Only down side is the intake manifold which my friend is making the adapter for and the cam.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,716 Posts
If I were building a high comp motor I would have used the f23 rods and not shaved the block. k20 rods sit in the whole .020

Looking at both rods, they look beefie. IF i were to use the f23 rods now the pistons would stick out the whole .020, h22 hg is close to .030 thick so I believe I could get away with it.
So the F23 and K20 rods have the same journal diameter and piston pin journal diameter, they are just different lengths? Doesn't ARP make rod bolts for the K20A2, but not the K20A3 and F23 rods? I see that as a pretty big advantage for the K20A2 rods.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
So the F23 and K20 rods have the same journal diameter and piston pin journal diameter, they are just different lengths? Doesn't ARP make rod bolts for the K20A2, but not the K20A3 and F23 rods? I see that as a pretty big advantage for the K20A2 rods.
k20a2 rods dont fit, which is why you use the a3.

Regardless the oem bolts are HUGE, no arp needed!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
JD= Joesph Davis ?

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,716 Posts
Tell me about it, just saw something today; guy made 270hp on a f23 running k20 pistons and stock f23 rods rev'ing to 9500 rpm!
That is pretty impressive, but reving to 9500rpm I would want to put some ARP rod bolts in there and shot-peen the rods. Or just get forged rods for piece of mind.

·
Registered
same
1,882 Posts
Gives me hope.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
JD= Joesph Davis ?
The one and only! JD is the MAN!

That is pretty impressive, but reving to 9500rpm I would want to put some ARP rod bolts in there and shot-peen the rods. Or just get forged rods for piece of mind.
IF you get a f23 rod in hand you might retract that statment! The oem rod bolt is HUGE!

Gives me hope.
I really am shock the amount of abuse these motors can take. I found out recent my boost gauge is off by 5-10psi so this motor has seen 30+ psi from the evo 8 turbo..... PERFECT comp hahaha

DO you have a link to this build?
I saw it on FB on a H2b group.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The one and only! JD is the MAN!
I guess since I really don't live but a few hours from him I shouldn't pass up on the opportunity to get him to tune my car. Guess I will be visiting him sometime next month if the sh!tbox will ever stay running more than 5 minutes...:clap:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
I guess since I really don't live but a few hours from him I shouldn't pass up on the opportunity to get him to tune my car. Guess I will be visiting him sometime next month if the sh!tbox will ever stay running more than 5 minutes...:clap:
I drove over 700 miles just for a tune by him!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
241 - 259 of 259 Posts