Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt want to hijack the other a6 thread so i started a new one.
If i were to bump up the compression of my a6 using d16a1 pistons, would it be better to use the rods AND pistons out of the a1 or should I use the rods from my a6 with the a1 pistons? also what other reccomendations do you have with this setup? How thick of a headgasket? Are there any clearance issues? Also what simple things can i do to help avoid detonation or any other harms to my motor besides using higher octane gas? Advance or retard timing? different ecu or injectors? any info is greatly appreciated.

M

·
0 Posts
i hear the a1 rods are stronger because they are a bit bigger. i've had a set and they looked big enough to make me wanna use them.

K

·
0 Posts
if u need the pistons and rods i have them for sale with brand new rings.

but to answer your question i think the a6/a1 rods are the same. also u could go with a y8 headgasket. they are 3 piece metal and not composite like the thicker a6 gaskets.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i have access to a set of rods/pistons is why im asking. but id like to know what i would have to do to run this setup safely, also the most cost effective way because im on a budget. :wink:

·
Registered
910 Posts
I am running this set up and it works fine on 91 octane. I want a different cam though. I think it would brng out some nice power with the higher compression.

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
ryan89crx said:
I didnt want to hijack the other a6 thread so i started a new one.
If i were to bump up the compression of my a6 using d16a1 pistons, would it be better to use the rods AND pistons out of the a1 or should I use the rods from my a6 with the a1 pistons? also what other reccomendations do you have with this setup? How thick of a headgasket? Are there any clearance issues? Also what simple things can i do to help avoid detonation or any other harms to my motor besides using higher octane gas? Advance or retard timing? different ecu or injectors? any info is greatly appreciated.
As long as your a6 rods are in good shape, you should use them. The a1 rods, though physically beefier, are rumored to be of a weaker composition than the sohc d16 rods.

-a 3-layer y8 .038 headgasket should be perfect.
-I would make sure all sharp edges of the combustion chamber are smoothed, and polish the tops of the pistons till they shine.
-I would run the coldest plugs you can w/o fouling, such as bkr7e-11 NGK's.
-the timing is dependent on you elevation and overall tune...depends on what type of engine management you will use...you def. do not want a program with alot of advance.
-you should DEFINITELY procure a higher-performance camshaft...that stock cam shaft will give you higher dynamic compression and at the same time choke your motor.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
I've got the ZC rods and pistons in my A6, just be sure that your timing is set PERCECTLY, if it's off just a tiny bit, BANG! there goes 16 valves!

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
I used an A6 head gasket, but I've blown 2 of them so far, so I'm trying an all metal gasket next. I'm not sure how i'm doing my fuel/ignition management tho :( I've got an exospeed sr909 going in this weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts