Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys

Got some questions about the build I've been brewing, I have a y8 block with z6 head with a jrsc 6-7 psi. A while back I bought some arias 11.5 cr pistons with a high comp jrsc build in mind. I bought the pistons through bisimoto and when I got them I told the tech dept my plans and they brought no concerns to my attention. SO now I've got all my stuff together and taken it down to the machine shop for balance and assembly and I called arias for piston to wall clearance recommendations as well as ring gap specs and the guy tells me he is concerned about running this much compression with the boost, BUT I began to doubt his judgement after he gave me and my machinist 2 different sets of specs for ring gap! Here is what he told me

piston 2 wall clearnace 3 thou
top ring 20-22
mid ring 22-24
oil ring 15-20

the ring gaps he gave the machinist were mostly different when we compared... BUT the guy at arias did say that they would exchange my pistons free of charge. He also said that if I were to continue with this setup that my tune would have to be near perfect... for the time being I was planning on running a p28 tuned with chrome tho I do have some spare coin I could use for a better tune... so I come to you guys for your opinions. Should I swap pistons and go with the safer build or continue as planned? and if so what spec do you recommend?

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Hi compression isn't necessarily bad for boost, it is just harder to tune is my understanding which means it is easier to blow shit up

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It'll be fine. It's no harder to tune than any other setup. Similar setup to what I'm running. I've ran high compression turbo'd, and now supercharged on a couple of builds. Get a competent tuner and you will be good to go.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Hello guys

piston 2 wall clearnace 3 thou
top ring 20-22
mid ring 22-24
oil ring 15-20
im gonna say with what is posted your gonna be fine, 11.5:1 is gonna be really responsive and with the sc, its gonna be a perty fun ride. Like mentioned, get a good tuner and and have fun with it.

question, whats your final hp goal. With them pistons you can take the supercharger off later down the road and turbo it. If this is a possibility i would go with .0035 on the p2w clearance

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
I would be worried with a true 11.5:1 and a roots blower at 6psi with no intercooler, of course depending on fuel used.

My thinking is that more like 9.5 to 10:1 will, work well with commonly available reasonably priced fuel. A bit also depends on the cam and exhaust system.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im gonna say with what is posted your gonna be fine, 11.5:1 is gonna be really responsive and with the sc, its gonna be a perty fun ride. Like mentioned, get a good tuner and and have fun with it.

question, whats your final hp goal. With them pistons you can take the supercharger off later down the road and turbo it. If this is a possibility i would go with .0035 on the p2w clearance
I would be worried with a true 11.5:1 and a roots blower at 6psi with no intercooler, of course depending on fuel used.

My thinking is that more like 9.5 to 10:1 will, work well with commonly available reasonably priced fuel. A bit also depends on the cam and exhaust system.
well for the rest of my setup I have head ported by RLZ with valves, Custom Bisimoto SC cam with bisi springs and retainers, endyne race oil pump and block posting kit, the arias 11.5:1 pistons with bisi rods, walbro fuel pump and RC 550's, my exhaust is 4-1 dc ceramic coat header 2.5in cat delete pipe and full exhaust tho the exhaust might change and I have a 60mm TB i think that's most of the essential info... the jrsc has not been modified

To answer your question 2drz6 I know with full exhaust 10psi and a good tune a z6 will make 200whp and 160wtq soo I hape for atleast a solid 220whp 180wtq.... tho those numbers might not happen while tuning with chrome

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
well for the rest of my setup I have head ported by RLZ with valves, Custom Bisimoto SC cam with bisi springs and retainers, endyne race oil pump and block posting kit, the arias 11.5:1 pistons with bisi rods, walbro fuel pump and RC 550's, my exhaust is 4-1 dc ceramic coat header 2.5in cat delete pipe and full exhaust tho the exhaust might change and I have a 60mm TB i think that's most of the essential info... the jrsc has not been modified

To answer your question 2drz6 I know with full exhaust 10psi and a good tune a z6 will make 200whp and 160wtq soo I hape for atleast a solid 220whp 180wtq.... tho those numbers might not happen while tuning with chrome
rlz work, you in the carolinas? IIRC howard does awesome tuning i think you can reach your goal if he gets his hands ahold of it. Maybe try top dead center also. anything is possible even with chrome

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What are the specs on this custom cam?
I havent got it yet but when I do I was thinking about profiling it, I filled out this for the order

1. Application?
2. Displacement of Engine?
3. Ported Head?
4. Peak RPM?
5. EMS?
6. Exhaust? Size?
7. Throttle Body? Size?
8. Engine Compression?
9. Intake Manifold?

promised a 20% gain

rlz work, you in the carolinas? IIRC howard does awesome tuning i think you can reach your goal if he gets his hands ahold of it. Maybe try top dead center also. anything is possible even with chrome
HELL YEAH BRO!!!!! Winston Salem N.C. and yeah I know of both places, good chance I'll make it to one

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
I havent got it yet but when I do I was thinking about profiling it when I do, I filled out this for the order

1. Application?
2. Displacement of Engine?
3. Ported Head?
4. Peak RPM?
5. EMS?
6. Exhaust? Size?
7. Throttle Body? Size?
8. Engine Compression?
9. Intake Manifold?

promised a 20% gain

HELL YEAH BRO!!!!! Winston Salem N.C. and yeah I know of both places, good chance I'll make it to one
spring lake here. also check this guy--> ** Flat Rate Tuning Fee's ** - Carolina Hondas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts