Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went through yet another headgasket the other day, anything over 12psi and they go, so I upgraded to a set of arp head studs($100) and a HKS 3 layer metal gasket ($100) Then after having to replace the ignitor and mag pickup I got it on the road again. Previous tune of 12psi was good to go, turned it up to 13 and wouldnt ya know, it is blowing bubbles into the cooling system and blowing the coolant out of the system. So after wasting a lot of time and money I have my car tore down yet again.

The head isnt warped, the deck was milled when I built the bottom end, and it isnt detonating so WTF?? I am running out of ideas and money.

What is everyone doing to keep the head sealed in this situation??

Cj

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
wierd my buddy with a ZC @12psi and CT26 turbo never had a problem even with stock headstuds and ORIGINAL head gasket. the motor is in another car and being put at 14psi on a greddy kit with zero problems. :beer:

·
Registered
344 Posts
you should try to copper spray the next headgasket. ive had my hks one on for at least 2,000 miles, and no problems yet...but im not pushing that many lbs either. also, with the headstuds, i torque them 5 + lbs over the stock setting just to make sure itll seal.

A

·
0 Posts
i wouldnt overtorque tha bolts..
juss find something to seal tha gasket down.. cuz probably when you put on tha head.. its moves and doesnt sit right..

have you checked tha thermostat and water pump? is it mixing with your oil?

D

·
0 Posts
If Im not mistaken your experiencing "Headlift" OEM headstuds are stretch bolts they wont hold up worth a damn with high boost. Use the ARPs and you should be fine

F

·
0 Posts
D16Z6TURBO said:
If Im not mistaken your experiencing "Headlift" OEM headstuds are stretch bolts they wont hold up worth a damn with high boost. Use the ARPs and you should be fine
im with him :werd:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
D16Z6TURBO said:
When it blew this last gasket, the ARP studs and HKS gasket was installed on the car. The oil and coolant never mix it just blows compression into the cooling system.

Thermostat and water pump are good.

D

·
0 Posts
Hhhhhhmmmmm head warped at all? Im just geussing now. Im having similar problems so Im ordering the ARPs and a cometic gasket myself. Shit I hope it fixes it on mine. Sorry past what I already mentioned Im not sure unless the head is warped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
wow, i was searching this and came across it through google. I am running 14 psi on my stock DOHC zc w/ sage 1 cams and a 63/50. and havnt blown the gasket, yet. I was thinking of upgrading to the hks gasket and arp studs before i do blow it. Did you come up with a solution yet?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You realize the thread is 2 1/2 years old, right? I'd guess either a warped head or tuning issues.

·
Registered
bicycle
1,376 Posts
its the tune..

jus cause u cant see detonation doesent mean its not detonationg.. if u used ARP and a hks gasket and tqed it down to spec with a good flat head/block it shouldnt blow.. unless the tune is off and its lifting gaskets with pre-ignition

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
wow, i was searching this and came across it through google. I am running 14 psi on my stock DOHC zc w/ sage 1 cams and a 63/50. and havnt blown the gasket, yet. I was thinking of upgrading to the hks gasket and arp studs before i do blow it. Did you come up with a solution yet?
HAHAHAH FUCKIN SHAUN... this is my buddie with the del sol that i always talk about with the turbo zc if any of you want to ask him questions :).. thats what he gets for bumping a 2 year old thread :)

its the tune..

jus cause u cant see detonation doesent mean its not detonationg.. if u used ARP and a hks gasket and tqed it down to spec with a good flat head/block it shouldnt blow.. unless the tune is off and its lifting gaskets with pre-ignition
yyyeeeeeeeepppppppp i tuned the del sol above a year ago on a small saab turbo at 12-14 psi got the big turbo retuned it 4 months ago.. that motor is a friggin tuesday motor for sure.. indestructable.. knock on wood :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts