Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so ive bin troubled with this problem for some months now and i dont know wats wrong,
build consists of
stock head
1000cc injectors
vitara pistons, std eagle rods, acd bearings, new oil pump

so in a nut shell stock head with a vitara bottom end. 2 1/2 inch exhaust

8 psi made 190whp and 18 psi made 250
here is photo of the timing high cam

ended up spinning a bearing on #3 about 3 months after i think its becuase i used a after market oil pump :( will never know just my guess

now rebuild the bottom end again this time with oem honda oil pump with a shim
went on the dyno yesterday @ 8 psi made 162whp and 160tq
17-18 lbs of boost barely made 200whp 180tq turbo is ebay special 57trim or wat ever that is and here is a pic of that map

im scared to add more timing to this thing, afr is hold good and steady at 11:4

is it possible some of you guys thats making around the 300whp mark help me out here if possible upload a pic of you tune it puzzles me that im not really making power

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How sure are you on mechanical timing?
100% sure about the mech timing its at tdc and with a timing light its set to 16degrees

the turbo is not the problem made 295 with same turbo before until i spun a bearing.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
probably out of it's efficiency window. try 12-15 and see how that goes.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
why did you take alot of timing out up top (21.7psi)? Looks like from 7.7 to 21.7 you took away alot of timing.

From the original map, just take away a little bit and then start adding slowly until you dont see no more power gains without increasing boost (psi).

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Its your timing. column 13-15. Column 13 your at 14.5, column 14 your at 9.25, column 15 at 2.25. So whats happening, IMO, is your algorithm is taking your target cells, which in this case is 14/15 for your boost range, and its taking not only the target cell into consideration but the adjacent cells as well.... so between, 9.25 and 2.25, your timing is probably in the neighborhood of 5.5* at your target boost range. I think thats a tad low. Also if you look at your original map, the timing is MUCH more aggressive hence the power output difference.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what motor/head
Its your timing. column 13-15. Column 13 your at 14.5, column 14 your at 9.25, column 15 at 2.25. So whats happening, IMO, is your algorithm is taking your target cells, which in this case is 14/15 for your boost range, and its taking not only the target cell into consideration but the adjacent cells as well.... so between, 9.25 and 2.25, your timing is probably in the neighborhood of 5.5* at your target boost range. I think thats a tad low. Also if you look at your original map, the timing is MUCH more aggressive hence the power output difference.
well i thought the first map was too aggressive and i was afraid that the motor would not last.
so i followed the general rule of thumb and did 1degree for every lb of boost hence the second map you guys are seeing.
after pulling the motor apart i notice on one of the pistons had what appears to be pin holes which looked like signs of detonation. this is why i am asking to see maps of other members to compare im still in the learning process of this whole tuning

and its a straight d16z6 motor stock head vitara bottom

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but still only 250 @ 18lbs isnt that kinda low, i mean im seeing members on here with similar turbo making just about 300

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and as far as manifold, its the cast iron ac compatible manifold since i still have ac. and i was forced to sart with a 2 inch downpipe and then to a 2 1/2 once it cleared the ac compressor, im thinking maybe thats the weak link and maybe ill just get rid of ac and do a full 3 inch exhaust

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
well i thought the first map was too aggressive and i was afraid that the motor would not last.
so i followed the general rule of thumb and did 1degree for every lb of boost hence the second map you guys are seeing.
after pulling the motor apart i notice on one of the pistons had what appears to be pin holes which looked like signs of detonation. this is why i am asking to see maps of other members to compare im still in the learning process of this whole tuning

and its a straight d16z6 motor stock head vitara bottom
So where are we at now? Did you put everything back together? If so did you have it leak tested? What does your spark plugs look like? That hole does not sound to good. Can we see a picture of it?

Just need to know what we are looking at. The info the better.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
and as far as manifold, its the cast iron ac compatible manifold since i still have ac. and i was forced to sart with a 2 inch downpipe and then to a 2 1/2 once it cleared the ac compressor, im thinking maybe thats the weak link and maybe ill just get rid of ac and do a full 3 inch exhaust
I don't think it is the exhaust or down pipe(That is a small DP though, call G0-Autoworks to see if greg can help you out) I have 2.5 and that's with AC compatibility cast mani. So...lets look at the little things that help make the big power. Listed in my last post.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So where are we at now? Did you put everything back together? If so did you have it leak tested? What does your spark plugs look like? That hole does not sound to good. Can we see a picture of it?

everything is back together yes, im saying aftet having a spun beaing about a month ago i didnt want to go with the same tunning which was the first map because i feel that the aggressive timing maybe had something to do with the pin like craters on one of the pistons,
So i did a retune and pulled more timing to be on the safe side of things but im so new to this im asking for others to chime in that have vitara builds and do there own tuning to help me out on which map looks familiar

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i know with vitaras that compression is on the low side so does the first map looks just about right? do you really need to be that aggressive on timing to make some decent power? the second map is too conservative i need to add more timing?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

never too pictures of it and as far as gap i believe i gapped it at around .019 all said and done its not blowing out the spark

i found this link just imagine the top of one of the piston looking very similar to this pic
Google Image Result for http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/sat_04_20/s13_12278_10.jpg

1 - 20 of 59 Posts