Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an HID setup on my 95 hatch the other day, and today I installed a stereo setup (composites with amp and sub) Its working fine and is properly setup, however when I turn on the HID's i get a constant fairly loud high pitch noise.

A couple of quick things to note. I grounded the HID setup at the battery location ground spot. (seen in photo 2) Also, I'm using the battery terminal that came with the amp kit. The HID and Stereo are connected to it about 1cm from each other and the wires do touch.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
hrmmm, were is the ground run from your stereo..?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The threaded raised hump that the spare tire bolt attaches to. Think thats a bad spot?

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
The threaded raised hump that the spare tire bolt attaches to. Think thats a bad spot?
why didnt you ground it to same place as your other radio..?

try that...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my other radio? because the radio is in the dash, and the amp is in the hatch. I don't want to run 4 gauge wire up there just for a ground.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
my other radio? because the radio is in the dash, and the amp is in the hatch. I don't want to run 4 gauge wire up there just for a ground.
i guess you misunderstood...

i was asking were the radio was grounded, not the amp...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The radio is grounded to the stock location.

I just sourced the problem. I cannot bolt the Ballasts to the chassis because the noise they make is picked up and magnified in the system, probably via the grounds.

Imma have to zip tie them to something, which is kinda ghetto, but whatever, its not like I have a tucked bay to worry about.

·
Registered
131 Posts
well, best i can do is that with my setup.. i ground the hid's to the chassis.. and they always humm when they're first on while they "warm up".. good luck

·
Registered
218 Posts
Why not bolt them where you have them but with like a layer of some sort of insulator in between.
Like that high density craft foam. Or double sided tape or plywood or your mini-wheats box folded over.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
my HID's are bolted to my strut towers, i have no problems at at, but i grounded them to there own chassis spot and my radio is grounded in the factory location, my amps are also chassis grounded to there own spots...

i dono, maybe im cool because nothing is grounded to the same spot...

side note:
my HID's also hum...

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
reground the amp

your current location is not good.
1. scrape paint away from future ground location. it should be a solid piece of the chassis; not some part that has been welded onto the chassis (the area where the back seats fold down for example).
2. use a small self-tapping screw to get a start on a hole for the ground bolt.
3. remove the self-tapper and replace with a 10mm coarse threaded bolt and a star washer.
4. screw down new bolt (it should not be movable if you tug on it)
5. enjoy music

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude Ive had this seem problem with mine. I still havent been able to find out what it is.
I just sourced the problem. I cannot bolt the Ballasts to the chassis because the noise they make is picked up and magnified in the system, probably via the grounds.

Imma have to zip tie them to something, which is kinda ghetto, but whatever, its not like I have a tucked bay to worry about.
;)

·
Premium Member
4G93 Turbo
133 Posts
Feedback from the Ballasts. Insulate the balasts from the chassis. Use rubber insulators between the screws and the balasts. Also do not tie in to the battery with your HID grounds. Tie them into the engine ground. That should help you with your interference problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts