Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If i go with an I beam connecting rod, what are my options in terms of high comppression pistons? (for a boosted setup)

10:1 compression
D16z6 or Y8 not sure yet on which i will go with..
pump 93 octane
300 to 320whp
car just used for daily driving and occasional road course
budget around $5000

would it be better to just use H beam rods versu the I beam?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
It depends.
You gotta give us more info. How much compression? What head? What fuel? What are your power goals? What kind of fuel? What is your budget? What will the car be used for?
Etc etc...

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
high compression, plus boost, plus pump gas, plus low budget = fail.

but if i had to recommend something, my A6 9:1 SRP's were champions with my z6 head, which was about 9.7:1 CR. would be just over 10:1 CR with a Y8 head.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Fj Vitara combo for a Z6 motor with .040" milled off the head will yield a 9.3 to 1 CR. With good tuning you should be able to run an 89 octane no problem.

·
Banned
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
high compression, plus boost, plus pump gas, plus low budget = fail.

but if i had to recommend something, my A6 9:1 SRP's were champions with my z6 head, which was about 9.7:1 CR. would be just over 10:1 CR with a Y8 head.

what rods did you use?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
stock y8 is 9.6. shave the head a little, deck the block a little, and you have 10:1

shoot for 170-210whp

no problems if your tuner takes it easy and has experience

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I like how the OP still hasnt answered any of my questions, and to think I held back so much well deserved flaming...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Actually, when tuned correctly a high compression turbo build will blow the doors off of a low compression build. It is all in the tuning, I will be running at least 9.5 to 1 on my next build.

Most of the high compression is no good mentality came from those in the 90's that were unable to tune correctly due to the lack of tuners with good knowledge and the lack of quality electronics in which to tune with. The other reason is that almost all turbo builds at that time were on oem bottom end components.

Look up dyno torque curves and when boost kicks in on high compression turbo builds. You will be amazed at the power and Tq curve on most of these builds. I'll search tonight and see what I can come up with and post 'em.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Actually, when tuned correctly a high compression turbo build will blow the doors off of a low compression build. It is all in the tuning, I will be running at least 9.5 to 1 on my next build.

Most of the high compression is no good mentality came from those in the 90's that were unable to tune correctly due to the lack of tuners with good knowledge and the lack of quality electronics in which to tune with. The other reason is that almost all turbo builds at that time were on oem bottom end components.

Look up dyno torque curves and when boost kicks in on high compression turbo builds. You will be amazed at the power and Tq curve on most of these builds. I'll search tonight and see what I can come up with and post 'em.
^ In for more info on this.....I was unaware you could run 9 CR's with boost. I understand things have changed, but wow. DSPORT just did a article on a boosted B16 with I think 9+ CR and it shoots to 10,000rpm...pump gas, runs 11's on street tires.....I'd like to have a set-up like that someday.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Not a D, but look up TonyTiger and his "Disco" GSR. IIRC, something like 11.5:1 CR, 12psi, 94-octane, and about 370whp(may have been more; I remember seeing 420whp on 10.5:1 CR pistons).

·
Banned
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
anyways
i am asking for some suggestions regarding a high comp SOHC d series build

pistons
rods
turbo
injector size

etc..

looking to make 300whp to 320whp on a built engine

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
tony the tiger also used ITB's for his turbo set up too.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
i did, in my original post !
Oh, my bad.

For safeties sake I would aim for a mild CR. Possibly forged 9.0:1 CR pistons with a milled Z6 head bringing it up to ~10.0:1. Maximizing quench will be important for getting the most out of the boost.

Its been well proven that you can get away with much more compression but I cant suggest that to just anybody. Its only something to undertake if you are/have a good tuner and have diligent ears.

Id look for some 650cc injectors, if used make sure to get them cleaned and flow tested.
I would go for I beams at that power level as they are lighter, which will be beneficial for road racing.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts