Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two layer head gasket is blown after 200km of driving, I had to go out of the highway and temperature goes up, en engine cry a bit and plenty of white smoke. I removed the head tonight and take some pics. There is some minor scratch on sleeves, probably 'cause the coolant have gone in the sleeves area. One is scratched more than others, I need advice about that, If I should use this block again or build a :haha: new one. I'm so disapointed. Never do a 2 layer head gasket, I'm almost sure this mess come from that.

Attachments

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
damn that sucks bro. i would slap it back together with a new stock hg and see where you stand from a leak down and compression check.

if anything else, ummm, rebuild it for boost ;).

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
damn that sucks bro. i would slap it back together with a new stock hg and see where you stand from a leak down and compression check.

·
Registered
EK 96
422 Posts
Soory for thatttttttttttt.................Very sad for you .....................

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

if anything else, ummm, rebuild it for boost ;).
But the big scratch in number 1, I can touch it my nail easily.

Do you think the pistons can seize onto the cylinder wall ?

I don't know what to do about that. I think I will sell everything, and going turbo, and will let the local machine shop do the block. I'm tired to play with that, I pass much dozens of hours on this engine.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
But the big scratch in number 1, I can touch it my nail easily.

Do you think the pistons can seize onto the cylinder wall ?

I don't know what to do about that. I think I will sell everything, and going turbo, and will let the local machine shop do the block. I'm tired to play with that, I pass much dozens of hours on this engine.
well since i am not there to actually see the scratch, i can advise on that. but if its pretty bad, cause in the pic it seems to me to be a light scratch, i would leave it be and tear the engine down.

yes they can.

go turbo, you will not be disappointed :D.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well since i am not there to actually see the scratch, i can advise on that. but if its pretty bad, cause in the pic it seems to me to be a light scratch, i would leave it be and tear the engine down.

yes they can.

go turbo, you will not be disappointed :D.
Maybe you're right !

I'll think about that for some days, I'm thinking hard about new block/vitaras turbo setup, and sell every parts I bought for this n/a setup. I will get some hundreds of bucks from skunk2 intake, aem2 v2, arp rods bolts, bisimoto cam, (maybe I should keep bisi springs), head assembly, I will get a y8 one next week.

Or take out pistons and rods, smooth sandpaper on pistons, hone lil bit cylinder, check rings and go back to normal. But I really don't know now.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
ive sanded the pistons on my fair share of builds.. lol advisable? no.. but it ran and ran good.. for what it had lol.. myt be sumthing worth a try now.. bfor any change of plan..

keeping the bisi springs if u change platform is good.. since its basically new and i know the lifespan of them springs are very good.. i mean 1 year of heavy use was still good.. even when we changed to a bigger cam.. after 1 yr.. hehe

u know im open to doors if ur gona donate the s2 intake hahaha

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
Thats just a flesh wound!!!!!!!!!

Try this on #3, a little is missing on the intake side :)

Knocked off the melted alum, swapped pistons, slapped it back together, ran just as good.

After all that, #3 was down to 160 cranking psi, other three were 175-180 psi. Car was .01 slower NA and juiced.

I would check the head for flatness though.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats just a flesh wound!!!!!!!!!

Try this on #3, a little is missing on the intake side :)

Knocked off the melted alum, swapped pistons, slapped it back together, ran just as good.

After all that, #3 was down to 160 cranking psi, other three were 175-180 psi. Car was .01 slower NA and juiced.

I would check the head for flatness though.
But do you think it will last anyways ? honing little shouldn't be a big job.
I have to go on dyno next month, I don't know If I should go anyways with this.

Thanx for the advice, maybe I will run it like that for a while, and starting build a turbo fresh block soon as possible.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ive sanded the pistons on my fair share of builds.. lol advisable? no.. but it ran and ran good.. for what it had lol.. myt be sumthing worth a try now.. bfor any change of plan..

keeping the bisi springs if u change platform is good.. since its basically new and i know the lifespan of them springs are very good.. i mean 1 year of heavy use was still good.. even when we changed to a bigger cam.. after 1 yr.. hehe

u know im open to doors if ur gona donate the s2 intake hahaha
I will get a y8 head next week, and I think I will let it almost stock for a turbo build, and y8 intake will be more than enough for a street setup. But If I run this n/a setup again, I will see how it last before selling parts.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dont check the rings, just get new ones
They are new, I don't want to invest more in this block. If I need to buy some new rings and more, I will start to build one of my 3 remaining blocks.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
and use a stock head gasket to.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and use a stock head gasket to.
Yeah I'll do ! 3 normal layer, and I think I will tight the ARPs headstuds to 70 with some lube, I've tighten it to 60 without lub. Maybe it wasn't enough. I did it like that on my old setup and last more than 2 years, and I don't think this time it likes compression and 2 layer gasket...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts