Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
my size 9.5 pumas
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been molesting my first motor guided and thanks to all you guys here on the site doing build threads. im building a stock d16y8 and turbo it to get a build under my belt before i dump money on a fully built d16. my goal is 240hp so far i have chiped p28, jumper harness for obd1 ebay .50/68 turbo log manifold godspeed wastegate ported and shimmed y8 oil pump done by me and a couple other things im to lazy to look at now. but yea just wanted to say thanks too all you guys

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Your gunna blow it up.

Address the oiling starvation correctly or my first sentence will haunt you.

·
Banned
my size 9.5 pumas
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your gunna blow it up.

Address the oiling starvation correctly or my first sentence will haunt you.
oil starvation? doesnt shiming and porting the oil pump correct the oil pressure and flow loss due to the turbo?i ported the FUCK out of the oil pump also port matched the oil exit port to the block and i used a .35 shim for the presure relief

·
Banned
my size 9.5 pumas
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pressure and volume are like way totally different things. Totally.

Love you too, homie!
i know this... this is why i shimmed and ported the pump is there something else i missed? please explain not trying to be a dick btw.....i have researched this issue on the y8s and have found that if i shim the pump=pressure and porting= volume am i wrong?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Instead of going down this rabbit hole of oil pump modifications that so many others already have, let me ask you this. Why are you modifying your oil pump?

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Banned
my size 9.5 pumas
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Instead of going down this rabbit hole of oil pump modifications that so many others already have, let me ask you this. Why are you modifying your oil pump?
because ive read that the crank only has 1 hole per rod and are notorius for throwing bearings and the pumps suck on a y8... i dont want to throw a rod bearing because of oil issues im doing an oem build so i can learn before dumping real money so i figured this wouldnt hurt

·
Banned
my size 9.5 pumas
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
because ive read that the crank only has 1 hole per rod and are notorius for throwing bearings and the pumps suck on a y8... i dont want to throw a rod bearing because of oil issues im doing an oem build so i can learn before dumping real money so i figured this wouldnt hurt
and im going turbo

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ah, so you don't actually have a problem you're trying to remedy. If you're doing an "OEM build" I would suggest just leaving it alone. There's so much more involved in regards to oil pressure that go beyond the pump, but internet forums have sort of dumbed down all of this information on Honda engines to the oil pump being the sole issue. Oil passage size, bearing clearance, and oil type/temperature/viscosity are all key players in oil pressure.

I just wouldn't try to remedy an issue you don't have based on internet discussions as all of the information is relative to variables not discussed in those threads. Put it together and monitor your pressure and temperature.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Banned
my size 9.5 pumas
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, so you don't actually have a problem you're trying to remedy. If you're doing an "OEM build" I would suggest just leaving it alone. There's so much more involved in regards to oil pressure that go beyond the pump, but internet forums have sort of dumbed down all of this information on Honda engines to the oil pump being the sole issue. Oil passage size, bearing clearance, and oil type/temperature/viscosity are all key players in oil pressure.

o i c now it all makes sense

I just wouldn't try to remedy an issue you don't have based on internet discussions as all of the information is relative to variables not discussed in those threads. Put it together and monitor your pressure and temperature.
wow now i get it ok cool (insert BUT here)....would it be benificial if im adding a turbo to increase flow ie. porting because of loss of flow for that matter? or would that make a difference?
im going to put a gauge on the feed line to the turbo to see what it reads compared to the back of the block right at the oil presure switch..
what do you think?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,305 Posts
would it really matter if the turbo requires a restrictor anyway?

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
remove the oil pump shim, no need for extra pressure.

the Y sub series simply needs very mild port attention to flow easier

"fluting" the main bearing feed holes is enough to bring the reliability similar to a z6 or a6

but then, there are dozens and dozens of d16yX turbo builds doing just fine.

the spun bearings are generally from the y8 motors, as they tend to leak more and use more oil when you beat on them, leading to owners blaming the oil pumps and not their retarded driving style and poor maintenance upkeep

Reactions: keel_hauled
1 - 15 of 15 Posts