Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 civic coupe ex D16z6 5 speed sohc vtec
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How’s it going, I’ve been lurking for a while and finally got a project car picked out. It is a friend of mines sons car and the car was purchased in their family brand new and passed down.

the engine that’s in it is I believe the third d16z6 that has been I the car

currently has a rod knock, after Ipick the car up I and going to get it back home and pull the engine, and disassemble to inspect the internal damage. I’m hoping the crank is still good.

the plan as of now is to build this engine for boost. Target hp is around 350-400whp. Higher 10:1 compression pistons good h beams and a aolid bottom end and With the right turbo and tune will be attainable on 93
Pump gas

So we shall see how it goes! I’m sure I will have tons of questions to be asked and answered during the process but I’m excited to get this little car whistlin

·
Formerly weebeastie
995 Posts
For those numbers you won't need that much compression. 9-9.5:1 and a GT28RS or a GT2871R will easily achieve your goal. Might consider the CSS process while you've got it out and torn down. Reliable and cheap insurance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For those numbers you won't need that much compression. 9-9.5:1 and a GT28RS or a GT2871R will easily achieve your goal. Might consider the CSS process while you've got it out and torn down. Reliable and cheap insurance.
Excuse my ignorance but I am not familiar with css process.
Also the reason I am looking to run 10:1 is that I am probably going to be running this engine NA for awhile until I can afford to boost. I have the mechanical aptitude to build and the tools and a good friend of mine is well versed in b and d series engines. The idea behind running the higher compression is that I will be able to have a streetable engine with decent manners that won’t lope out with a more aggressive cam and will be able to achieve a more consistent torque band in the lower boost ranges. I am thinking I want to tune it in the 8-12 psi range for the street and be able to crank it up for those track days. Again I am new to the import scene and as with any build of this nature it’s going to take some trial and error. I’m hoping to pick up as much knowledge and information that will assist in this cool little project

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On a side note, when I start this build I don’t plan on cheating out on components. I see a lot of guys buying off brands through eBay with success but the goal is to build a RELIABLE engine. I would like to build this engine to hold 20-30 percent more than my target whp and torque, to give me more room in the future to turn the car up and play with it. Eventually it will be a trailer queen as I would love to get into bracket racing again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts