Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i replaced the timing belt I thought I lined everything up the car had no power at all barely made it back up the drive way d15b2 by the way 90 crx so I decided to pull it all off and start from scratch but I removed everything before lining it up i cannot turn the cylinder crank because the bolt is stripped where do I go from here

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,635 Posts

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
"cylinder crank because the bolt is stripped "

What?

Do you mean the crank pulley bolt is stripped, and you cannot turn the crankshaft and engine over?

Make sure you dont have the timing so messed up that an open valve is blocked the piston from moving.

Might have to remove the camshaft temporarily to get all the valves to close, then reinstall camshaft and cam gear, and set to top dead zero or cylinder 1 and try again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"cylinder crank because the bolt is stripped "

What?

Do you mean the crank pulley bolt is stripped, and you cannot turn the crankshaft and engine over?

Make sure you dont have the timing so messed up that an open valve is blocked the piston from moving.

Might have to remove the camshaft temporarily to get all the valves to close, then reinstall camshaft and cam gear, and set to top dead zero or cylinder 1 and try again
No I cannot turn it over i removed the spark plugs to make it easier but its not turning its the lobes all the way to the pulley that look open

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Then you need to remove the camshaft, and then via the #1 sparkplug hole near timing belt, get the motor to spin to top dead center.

These engines are old, so the marks on teh crank pulley will be hard to see, but they are indeed there! Maybe wipe a clean rag over the pulley edges to find them.

With the top timing cover removed, you can simply ziptie the timing belt to the cam gear, unbolt the cam gear, set it near the fender with a bungie cord to keep tension on timing belt, and then you can get that camshaft out of there!

Once the cam is removed, try again to rotate the crankshaft via the crank pulley.

If the engine still does not rotatem you will need to pull the block out of the car and tear it apart and find out why a piston ring is jammed up, seized, or if you have damage like a broken conencting rod.

This whole time, you need to be sure it is out of gear!

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
This is all assuming the valves are freely able to open and close, and the power loss that barely got you up teh driveway, was simply because timing is off.

However, these are interference motors technically, though I personally have snapped a d15b2 timing belt, and gotten off scott free other than a very slight nick on one or two valves that luckily did not hurt anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jack it up, remove inspection plate, turn the crank by hand

Performance Tool Flywheel Turners W80510

or, call a tow truck, and take it to a shop.
ok i am able to turn it
This is all assuming the valves are freely able to open and close, and the power loss that barely got you up teh driveway, was simply because timing is off.

However, these are interference motors technically, though I personally have snapped a d15b2 timing belt, and gotten off scott free other than a very slight nick on one or two valves that luckily did not hurt anything.
Ok i put the belt back on so I can now move the entire engine by hand i put a screw driver in the number one hole but it is going down when my gear is lined up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then you need to remove the camshaft, and then via the #1 sparkplug hole near timing belt, get the motor to spin to top dead center.

These engines are old, so the marks on teh crank pulley will be hard to see, but they are indeed there! Maybe wipe a clean rag over the pulley edges to find them.

With the top timing cover removed, you can simply ziptie the timing belt to the cam gear, unbolt the cam gear, set it near the fender with a bungie cord to keep tension on timing belt, and then you can get that camshaft out of there!

Once the cam is removed, try again to rotate the crankshaft via the crank pulley.

If the engine still does not rotatem you will need to pull the block out of the car and tear it apart and find out why a piston ring is jammed up, seized, or if you have damage like a broken conencting rod.

This whole time, you need to be sure it is out of gear!
OH SHIT OUT OF GEAR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Ok so I'm out of gear I have the screw driver in hole 1 do I turn it over when the screwdriver reaches its highest point then ill pull the belt off and turn the bottom to line it up then put the belt back on and tighten it up and im good

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
correct. Leave belt off and camshaft out, spin engine to line up the crank pulley with the timing mark on the bottom timing cover, aka, top dead center, then reinstall camshaft, this time, you can cut the zipties, loosen the timing belt off the camgear, bungie cord the timing belt out of the way BUT keeping tension on belt, line the camgear up, bolt the valvetrain down carefully, put the "UP" mark on the camgear up 90degrees from head surface (engine is slightly rocked, so dont go by gravity), and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jack it up, remove inspection plate, turn the crank by hand

Performance Tool Flywheel Turners W80510

or, call a tow truck, and take it to a i
correct. Leave belt off and camshaft out, spin engine to line up the crank pulley with the timing mark on the bottom timing cover, aka, top dead center, then reinstall camshaft, this time, you can cut the zipties, loosen the timing belt off the camgear, bungie cord the timing belt out of the way BUT keeping tension on belt, line the camgear up, bolt the valvetrain down carefully, put the "UP" mark on the camgear up 90degrees from head surface (engine is slightly rocked, so dont go by gravity), and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok every thing is up and lined does it matter which way I turn it and with the belt on it looks kike it lines up on top every other go around or every third go around

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
It is a counter-clockwise spinning motor. you can induce slop if you spin it clockwise. easily fixable, but why do it, right?

Cam gear should spin twice per single crank rotation, normal.

When you set the tension on the belt, loosen the holding bolt of the tensioner, have a socket wrench on the crank pulley, and slightly turn it counterclockwise as you push up on the tensioner. when you feel a good spot to let go, tighten the tensioner bolt.

Then spin the motor counter-clockwise 4-5 crank rotations, and check the belt for any slop. Should be nice and firm, without feeling like a guitar string! SOME slop is fine. Like 3-4mm of travel in the middle of crank pulley and camgear.

Honda does have a specific spec, I have forgotten it at the moment.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
If it is easier, you can put a wrench on the camgear nut, and put pressure on it in a clockwise motion to take up the slack between the left side crank and camgear, while you tighten the tenioner bolt.

Make sure that spring is still good! I recommend changing the tensioner spring every time you do a belt or mess with tension. Even if its only a year old.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it is easier, you can put a wrench on the camgear nut, and put pressure on it in a clockwise motion to take up the slack between the left side crank and camgear, while you tighten the tenioner bolt.

Make sure that spring is still good! I recommend changing the tensioner spring every time you do a belt or mess with tension. Even if its only a year old.
Let me ask you if I put a screw driver down in the number one plug hole and turn the engine over by hand that screw driver should be all the way up then its at the top correct i ask because when my gear is lined up that screwdriver is down so instead of setting it to the gear i probably should be setting it to the driver because the gear is lined up and still no power

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,635 Posts
it goes up twice per cycle. tdc on intake and tdc on exhaust.
suck ----piston going down
squeeze----piston going up
bang----tdc combustion
blow---piston going up with exhaust open

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
you are WAY off timing.

camgear UP, #1 cylinder UP

1 - 18 of 18 Posts