Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my engine rebuilt d16y7 put together everything plugged in right but it wont start . lights work beeps door stuff al sounds right guessing not the wiring, check the spark plugs spacing the distributor is sparking new spark plugs new oil filter new oil every thing, checked fuel line getting fuel, so i put some gas in the carburetor, turned it over sound like it want to start but would choke, got some starting fluid spray some in didnt relive u shouldnt spray it in while some one starts it :) fireball, but every was ok , still didnt start, everythings connect no waring lights im think its the fuel injectors are clogged?? any one have any idea if im right or any suggestions??

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
timing right, firing order right, injectors plugged in the right spot?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup the machine shop said they timed it, an pressure test it, did a compression on it myself, all good, check the firing order its good, the injectors are plugged in right, when i installed it, i wiped it with a rag, some gunk, but i herd if fuel sits in there it separates, an clogs it? wouldnt it fire over with the starting fluid even if the injectors were dirty??

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
so i put some gas in the carburetor
what? there is no carb on a y7...

double check firing order.. and put a charger on your battery then you will be abel to rule that out.. a lot of times the battery just gets ran down a little and it wont fire.. double check that its tdc..

and make sure you have you engine, valve cover and thermostat ground.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Go back to first principles.

One sequence is 720 deg crank or 360 deg cam. Sequence is fire, TDC power stroke, power stroke, exhaust stroke, TDC overlap, induction stroke, compression stroke. TDC power stroke both valves closed. TDC overlap, both valves open a little with exhaust closing and induction opening.

Try to start then check plugs straight away. Are they wet.

Check timing with a non dial in timing light keeping the basic first principles in mind. If timing light fires a little before TDC, it is either OK or 360 deg out. To check, take tappet cover off and check timing light fires on about TDC firing stroke. To check this, both valves should be fully closed. Then check cylinder 360 crank deg from #1. At least the exhaust valve should be a bit off its seat when one fires. You can check with a piece of light paper board with a mark or cut to length right beside the valve spring retainer. When the timing light fires it will make the retainer look lower than when valve is closed.

Any engine that will crank and has fuel and spark at anywhere near the right time and compression must at least fire occasionally and try to run. If fuel is lean, a squirt of fuel into the throttle body should make it fire and run for a few seconds. If fuel is rich, plugs will be wet.

If timing is way out it might backfire through either inlet or exhaust and if it is lean it should backfire through the inlet and if rich it should blow black smoke and sound flat as it fires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
check the grounds, there fine try turning over again still sound like it kicks an then just blah, as if its not getting fuel or the timing might be off, is there anyway to check if timing is with out a timing light, an without taking the belts off? Machine shop said they timed it, an they are known for good business here, but ill check it, would it be the injectors ? or is it a waste of time taking the fuel rail off?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
To check ignition timing you need a timing light.

To check cam timing you need to remove the timing belt top cover and pull the spark plugs and wind the engine by hand, or by rolling the car with the car in top gear, until # 1 is at TDC. You can check the TDC mark with a soft rod, like wood in the spark plug hole and feel when the rod is at its highest point. This will get you close with some skill. More accurate is to screw a bolt into the plug hole with the piston down the bore, then GENTLY turn one way till you hit the stop. Make a chalk mark on the pulley, then turn the other way until you hit the stop , make a mark. Half way between the two marks is an accurate TDC. Mark it with a dab of white paint. There should be a notch in the pulley at that point.

Now turn the engine over until #1 is at TDC with both valves a little of the seat. This will be TDC overlap. Then turn a full 360 deg crank and you should be TDC power stroke. Now check the dissy. The rotor should point directly at the post that has # 1 lead plugged in. Go through the firing order to check all leads are correct. You do know a Honda D series runs counter clockwise.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I prefer to squirt fuel into the inlet to check the injectors. If the injectors are crook, a spray or squirt into the inlet will let it start, run rough and stall after a few seconds. If yo can time your squirts right you can get it to keep running for a while. If it stalls shortly after you stop squirting in fuel, it's fuel supply somewhere between tank and injectors or wrong fuel pressure. Check pressure in fuel rail. If you have pressure it is most likely injectors if ignition, volts and cam timing are all OK.

Also check voltage at battery supply to ECU while cranking just to be sure.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Ummmm No

Just take the air duct off and squirt fuel into the throttle body with the throttle wide open. Open and close the throttle while cranking in an attempt to get the right mixture for long enough for it to fire.

I just use a plastic sauce bottle with some petrol.

Keep it simple and do the easy obvious things first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya ill try that it, sounds like it was going to fire over, but need to get gas to late right now to walk hah. ill try all of this when i wake up .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts