Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1988 CRX HF
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I have a 1988 crx hf that I did a zc swap with. My problem is that I cant get the car to turn over now, when i first got the zc in, it turned over fine but never started. Now it wont turn over at all. All my wiring is good, I have changed the starter, replaced the ignitor, cap, rotor button, and plugs. The ECU is getting power also. The fuel system is working fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
1988 CRX HF
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, Ive kept the battery on a charger the whole time. And for the times it has went dead (which isnt very often) ive used a battery box.

·
Registered
1988 CRX HF
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ther is nothing, like i turn the key and just the lights on the dash come on and ECU blinks once (i guess that denotes that it has power). but when i turn the key to start it, i get nothing at all.

·
Registered
1988 CRX HF
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all the wiring is good, ive gone over the wiring multiple times

·
Registered
1988 CRX HF
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yup, the wire that connects to the battery, and the wire thats goes into the harness (which i guess is the ground).

·
Registered
1988 CRX HF
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update:
I got it to turn over, however, it still will not start. i have tested all my connections and they are good except the ignitor wire, i did a continuity test between where it connects at the distibutor and at the ECU and got nothing.
so maybe its between the ecu and the distributor?? i had the same problem with the old engine before i did the swap (in fact, that was the main reason i did the swap)

·
Registered
119 Posts
when i put mine in and did the wires it would not start. i messed with it for a while. then i thought about what i could have done wrong. the only thing i could think of is the 2 wires that go to the cam sencor where the same color and not sure i got them right. i thought what the heck and switch them and it started up. this sounds like you proplem it cranked with no hint of fire. good luck

·
Registered
1988 CRX HF
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks wam-crx, I have them soldered together to the factory harness that came with the ZC (the little green plug) I have them color matched one is blue/yellow and the other is blue/green. I think it may be the main relay (or at least thats the next thing im gonna check) I will do a continuity test on those wires just to make sure though.

·
Registered
1988 CRX HF
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update:
okay so i replaced the main relay and got the same result. im lost here, I have no clue what else could be causing this problem.

·
Registered
721 Posts
this would be a good time to get your alternator tested I think...go back to the basics, never hurts to take a big breath and then go over everything again. Battery need to be fully charged, not no half ass 'lets use the 50 amp boost setting on the charger' deal either. Then, check compression, check for spark from the coil, just take the wire that plugs into your dizzy from your coil, and shove a spark plug in it that you know is good, and ground it and look for spark when you roll it over, if there is spark, at least you know you got spark as far as the dizzy, and its not likely the problem. Then, make sure your fuel pump is up to the task, pull the little bolt out of the fuel cannister at the fire wall, and have someone hold a cup up to it and turn the key on, you should have fuel spraying, probably all over the place! and if thats fine, then one would question timing. Was the motor ever apart?? re-time it, top to bottom, and make damn sure the timing is bang on! and then if THATS all good, then faulty injectors or something of the sort maybe, find it wierd that it would be the injectors, but you never know! oh, make sure your coil is wired up the RIGHT way too...good luck!

EDIT: Wires from the dizzy in the right firing order could help too...

·
Registered
1988 CRX HF
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you Lude-icious, as far as the alternator goes I took it to get checked right before i put the motor in. The plug wires are in the right order. i will have to try that fuel/cup thing, the motor was never apart (that i know of)
I got the motor from hmotorsonline.com and put it in about a month later. as far as i know the timing is correct but i will check it, once again thank you

·
Registered
1988 CRX HF
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Green 91, i got it to turn over but it still wont start. i have to check the spark again. I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and got the motor to sputter for about 2 seconds, but still it wont start.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts