Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello d series! I am brand new to the forum and new to dseries in general. I have never had anything but 4th gen preludes and one 92 hatch with full h22 swap. But here goes... I have 94 hatch with a d16z6. From my searches and reading of trans FAQs I see that 96 00 trans' have steel shift forks rather than aluminum forks like the 92 95s do. I have a grind going into 2nd gear at above. 7k rpms and at stop signs and red lights I have to put it in 2nd before I shift to 1st before I take off, otherwise if I go straight into 1st it feels like I am going to bend or break something. So I am looking into just buying a 96 00 ex trans to replace my current trans with. I understand that the trans code is s40 b000 for the EK ex trans but I can't find one anywhere it seems... So I have contacted some jdm import houses and inquired about a quote "96 to 00 ex d series trans" and they say they have some. But what i am concerned about is.... Did the japanese ever have d series from 96+?? I do not want another aluminum shift fork trans and would really prefer the steel forked 96+ trans. Can anyone shed light on this for me? Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post lol. An excuse my typing I am on a iPhone and have no computer!

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Yes, you would be looking for a S40 B000 stamped D-series trans. Before you purchase the trans, verifiy with the company that indeed it is stamped with B000 near the passenger side axle input housing. GL and welcome!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in middle Georgia. And he told me it is being removed from a 98 civic ex. And he also stated that it says S40 as the trans code. That bein said... If it is a s40 does that guarantee it is a ex b000? Or is there such thing as a s40 with the bs small a000? From my research it appears that if it is a 98 ex 5spd s40 trans than it MUST be a b000 big bearing trans... Correct? :/

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I also would lik to confirm that if it's a s40 98 ex trans... Than whether it's from a coupe or sedan the gear ratios and FD are the same?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,422 Posts
EX have all the same ratios, but the HX is also a big bearing B000 case.

S40 only confirms it is a 96-00 5 speed tranny, nothing else.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the p4a stamp states it's positivly a ex? Just making sure. The trans is on the tennese state line Whig is 3 or 4 hrs from me so I wanna clarify before it is sent. 200 bucks for it and has 100k miles. Sounds like a deal to me

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trans is stamped as P4A B000. S40 sticker. Looks to me as if I found me a winner!

·
Registered
2001 TL1000R
509 Posts
yep! sounds right! congrats!! i searched for an ex tranny and ended up with a z6 one - nice

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It will be in my hands tomorow night. Woohoo. I am having probs with my z6 trans and want to upgade to the steel shift forks. Steel forks sound more durable and strong to me. Kinda sucks to change but oh well atleast I won't have to fight to get I into 1st gear at red lights and stop signs. 225 is my final cost for the new trans. And I'm gonna make a trip to Honda and get axle seals and some mtf from Honda. Anyone know how many qts the trans holds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any difference in the red cap Honda mtf and white cap mtf?? I seen at Honda last time it had white caps intead of the origiNal red capped qts

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Red cap? Never have seen it. But if it is truly Honda MTF...ask the parts dept if that is older stock MTF. If so, take it...much better formula!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why not Honda mtf?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,422 Posts
Why not Honda mtf?
current MTF was designed for newer transmissions, not a 15 year old tranny.

You will already have issues with 3rd gear due to design, why put a thinner fluid in the tranny and compound the issues?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I have always used a 50/50 mix of Honda MTF and Pennzoil Synchromesh. Both in the DD and the LSD race trans.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts