Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a d15b7 with a d15b vtec head on it. Its been spark knocking since I did the swap to begin with but I didnt know what it was and it seemed to perform fine so I left it alone. My friend diagnosed it while we were checking my timing. It doesnt do it if my dist it just about all the way retarded, at least not very much. It has an aem cam gear that was set to 3 degrees advanced and like that when it was running on the d15b. I run 93 in it. Its not over heating. It will spark knock if the engine has just been fired up as a matter of fact. I put 1 step colder plugs in it and have new ngk plug wires. Any clues? Its been running forever (over a year) like this so I'm not sure if its hurting anything, but I'd like it to be gone for peace of mind at least

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
what do u mean, spark knock?

set your cam gear to 0, set your timing to 16 deg, and report back

have you looked into a chipped ecu so you can have the car tuned properly?

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
do you mean pinging? or a knocking noise? if its pinging, ur cylinder temps are way too hot so advanced timing, compression too high, carbon in the cylinder somewhere heating up. wrong plug heat range. yes set the timing to stock and see what happens

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I left it what it was set on on the previous engine but yea, I'll try a few things in the next few days and get back to everyone. I dont own a timing light and I'm flat broke for the time being. Google spark knock, its not normal detonation. Its a very audible rattling noise that occurs when the engine is under a load. We have to pull a lot of ign timing out of it for it to even try to run right.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess it is normal detonation. He just gave it a different name. Its just really odd that I have to run almost no (5*) of ign timing for it to not knock. Maybe I have a clogged injector and its running lean because of it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts