Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about picking this car up what would be a normal cash price assuming its as clean as it looks in the pictures? Just looking for a ballpark. I haven't seen one this clean in the area for a long time.

1994 Honda Delsol V-TEC b16a

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Honestly I would give 3-4k for that car pending a carfax/autocheck report showing true mileage, clean title and no accidents. Those miles are very low for the age of the car. Also need to see the car in person before, might be a rust bucket under the clean paint.

Its not listed but whats the seller asking?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seller is asking 5500. It is by far the cleanest sol locally I have seen in a long while and I dont see many b16 sols around my area often either. Provided its not all bondo under the new paint but I'll be taking a refrigerator magnet with me to check for repair work in the common areas.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
If thats with wheels its not too big a hike. Wheels look to be knock off's, most likely rota jmags. Raceland is on the cheaper end of coilovers, but not the cheapest. Just spotted a giant tach on the dash.

Perhaps its the real deal, but for the price he is asking, im looking at a numbers matching car not a car that has been ragged out and blown up several times and then had as many swaps as the village bike has had riders.

I call those cars projects.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most definitely. Thank you gearhead for the sound advice. I will make sure its numbers matching and the bay doesn't show signs that the motor has been pulled five times for rebuild etc. The wheels and stock parts are included in the sale. The wheels look clean but aren't really my style I will probably add something less flashy and take the monster tach off! If I do purchase the car I'm looking to make a sleeper car and run a few quarter mile passes with my buddy for fun.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand I could find a swapped or turbo'd car for that price as well. However I find it hard to come by a swap done with professional care and running/tuned correctly. Also most of the turbo'd hondas in the area are godspeed kits. So I figured if its a clean original car then it would be a great platform to start with. What would you suggest 2drz6? Im all for opinions on other paths to travel as its not in my driveway yet.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
wouldn't buy somebody elses project.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
For 5500 you open up other possibilities.
This. I own 3 del sols.

Clean ones with OE paint in good shape pop up here and there for 3000-3500 across the country.

Considering the wheels and coilovers are worthless and who knows how well the car was painted; you may want to consider something else.

For 5500 you're in RSX Type-S Territory.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This. I own 3 del sols.

Clean ones with OE paint in good shape pop up here and there for 3000-3500 across the country.

Considering the wheels and coilovers are worthless and who knows how well the car was painted; you may want to consider something else.

For 5500 you're in RSX Type-S Territory.
I do have some mechanical knowledge. I've never built an engine before from the block up but I am an engineer for a company that produces OE engine bearings for Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc. so I do think I could accomplish the task over the winter months.

Are the del sols your referring to for 3,000-3,500 original b16 or d series cars? I'm just curious as I haven't seen a sol in my area with factory b16 within the 3-4 months I've been looking and I'm not driving out of state for a car. I do however like the rsx so I will expand my search and see what else catches my eye. And as for the price of $5500 that was the price given over the phone when I inquired about the car not the price I offered in person either.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Here's what I think I would do with $5500... Get a good condition z6 sol or civic for under 2k. Then rebuild it with OEM parts following the directions from the Factory Service Manual available from Helminc.com. Get the car running good then get a small turbo kit from go-autoworks.com and get the car tuned for 200 WHP on Hondata. 200WHP is the limit a stock d16z6 can take.

200 to the wheels will smoke any b-series engine in stock form and probably any stock k-series as well especially since the newer civics weigh over 500lb more I think

I got a 4dr sedan from an old lady on craigslist. She bought the car brand new.. and it was in mint condition. I paid 2,200 about 2 years ago. I think they are down to the 1,700 range now for excellent condition on Kelly Blue Book

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
1,700-2,000 for a z6 civic or sol

$1,000-$1,500 precise rebuild

$3,200 turbo kit

$1,000 hondata s300 and tune

~$7,400 for 200 WHP

b16 probably puts down 135 WHP at best in its stock form.

You could do a rebuild way cheaper but I like to do stuff once personally.

It's a big project and would take a long time so maybe the b16 would be good enough for now.. :) (I have fun with my NA d16z6 120whp...)

Either way, good luck man!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
Here's what I think I would do with $5500... Get a good condition z6 sol or civic for under 2k. Then rebuild it with OEM parts following the directions from the Factory Service Manual available from Helms.com. Get the car running good then get a small turbo kit from go-autoworks.com
if youre going to rebuild it and slap a turbo on it, no sense in using oem rods and pistons after you suggest go-auto. 500$ will buy you a turbo friendly rebuild kit from them and then you can piece together a turbo or order one from them.

1500 will net you a decent chasis with an engine that wouldn't hurt to get rebuilt. the money left over will get you parts and a tune if you find deals.

hell, if youre sweating a b16, buy a beater del sol with z6 and then buy a b16 and rebuild it and swap it. :gayfight2:

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
^Yes that is true but IMO anything over 200WHP would want a new cam, springs, retainers, cam gear, intake manifold. So personally I think I would be happy with the Z6 limit of 200whp in it's stock form and save that money. Just my personal opinion.

With all the money saved from all that I could get get a Limited Slip Differential, and some gears to shorten up the transmission

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
For the cost you can get into a newer car with more options.

For the cost you could buy a faster car, but it might be a little older and less reliable.

For the cost you could go cheap by a rolling good example and build it, taking time and energy.

For the cost, if the numbers match, you could by a kind of rare, due to us modding them, clean b16 Sol.

There was one out here full stock, $4500 at a dealer. Negotiate to were you feel comfortable, dont be fooled by after market crap and get the car you want, whether it is this one or another option. Or you will regret it, at times we only offer opinions that will make us happy not you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im not suggesting a b16 is fast. I'm wanting to build the motor with forged internals at some point then add a turbo kit. I know I could buy a faster car ie. turbo'd D series hatch or coupe but I like knowing that I built the car so any break down is my fault and I do not curse the previous owners marginal work. I have a 2006 Mazda 3 to commute I'm just looking for a fun car to build and I like starting with stock. I like that the del sol aren't as common in my area vs a hatch or coupe that are everywhere. I'll check the web this evening and keep an eye out for other platforms to start with.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
I think you might as well start with a d-series then if your wanting to turbo it later. D-series are generally WAY cheaper. Or pay double the price for an extra 25 horsepower for the b16.... :)

Find a one-owner, or really mint honda that you want and have fun... thats the most important!
Or a really crappy one if your going to track it.... or you just like the old wornout look :D

One thing I have noticed is that b-series motors have some options our d-series do not have: For instance DogBox transmission

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you might as well start with a d-series then if your wanting to turbo it later. D-series are generally WAY cheaper. Or pay double the price for an extra 25 horsepower for the b16.... :)

Find a one-owner, or really mint honda that you want and have fun... thats the most important!
Or a really crappy one if your going to track it.... or you just like the old wornout look :D
Thats not what I'm trying to argue haha I know d series can make power I've read lots of builds on here and I'm not against starting with a z6 because my friend has a spare motor I can purchase to build. However I haven't found a clean hatch, coupe or del sol lately. Thats why I asked what the value of the car would be. Not if I should buy it. Thats up to me and what my personal preference is. I wanted advice from you folks so I don't overpay for something. You guys know these cars in and out so I figured I would get a fair price for the car check it out and go from there. I'm not wanting to pay more because its a b series. I'm wondering what the value is if its clean, rust free, well kept and original motor. In Ohio its hard to come by rust free cars.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Didnt read others comments.
But its a clean del sol. I brought mines some years back and i Paid $4500 for it. Had around 90k miles but was 100% stock.
I dont see a price that he is asking but for something like that i would pay between $4k and $5k to tell the truth

1 - 20 of 47 Posts